Electric boiler

Tennentslager

It's not to do with the title but 

New office, landlord says just switch it on, the boiler that is, it's got 4 radiators and does hot water.

No problems at the taps but zilch at the radiators.

Are these valves set property? Which way generally indicates on? I thought in line with the piping?IMG_20171124_152105919.thumb.jpg.227f66b8bfbc223643774c6b65a821b4.jpg

There's 4, H&C plus the filling loop. I've twiddled so much I've fecked up my brain and dunno what's what.

Can I have an idiots guide.

Secondly, no thermostat/timer fitted so it's going to be cold on a winter Monday morning. Any tips on a easy to fit/cheap unit?

Links are appreciated

Has it EVER worked?

You don't want to keep the fill loop valves open.

Where is the circulating pump? is it running?

The Right angles valve coming out of the bottom of that black thing (someone will tell me what that is in due course) looks to me to be turned off (it's not in line with the black thing)

Cheers @ProDave 

Fill loop was my fault. It was a fully functional hair salon for 2 years before we took it so assuming yes.

Brochure for the boiler says it's almost silent so not sure if the pumps working. When the hot tap is running it makes barely a sound at the boiler.

Of topic but sorting out the water supplier moving in, we were given the last six years meter readings.

The hair salon was billed £4500 a year, 5000l a day! Previously it was a letting agents using next to nothing per year. 

The red and black taps at the top are off. The black thing is prob a filter. 

The black taps on the filling loop are both fully open, not good. Close them both and get the pressure down by bleeding a radiator into a bucket. 

Whsts the make / model? A quick read of the MI's will say if there's a removable internal link to connect a timer to or whether it's maybe got it already onboard ;)

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

The red and black taps at the top are off. The black thing is prob a filter. 

The black taps on the filling loop are both fully open, not good. Close them both and get the pressure down by bleeding a radiator into a bucket. 

Whsts the make / model? A quick read of the MI's will say if there's a removable internal link to connect a timer to or whether it's maybe got it already onboard ;)

Do I need to close the filling loop urgently. The boiler is turned off. Or can I leave it until Monday?

5 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Do I need to close the filling loop urgently. The boiler is turned off. Or can I leave it until Monday?

The worst that can happen is the pressure will go higher than 3 bar and the PRV will open. Tbh, if it hasn't already done so then it may be the static mains pressure is lower and therefore within the operating tolerance of the PRV. 

Just take wellies with you on Monday in case :D

The controller needs to be "zero volt switching" so basically any controller that doesn't give out 230v. 

The one linked seems to be fine but is a brand I don't know of and have ever fitted. Tbh if this is to be a simple to use control for others to use ( grasp ) then I'd go for a wired timeclock at the boiler and a dumb wireless wall stat as the programmable stats are completely dependant on being correctly programmed and that being maintained. They do feature a temporary or permanent manual override but if there is no single user or system caretaker then simplifying this would be advisable IMO. 

Didn't fancy wellies on Monday @Nickfromwales so popped over today.

Cracked it...all the radiators were turned off but all working nicely now.

I've ordered that wireless thermostat from eBay for 50 quid. It's got 7 day programmer which I need as there's no one there at the weekend.

Is this a DIY job or should I get an electrician in?

Edited by Tennentslager

52 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Didn't fancy wellies on Monday @Nickfromwales so popped over today.

Cracked it...all the radiators were turned off but all working nicely now.

I've ordered that wireless thermostat from eBay for 50 quid. It's got 7 day programmer which I need as there's no one there at the weekend.

Is this a DIY job or should I get an electrician in?

If it's a rented property then you really need the paper trail. If the worst happened and there was a fire then you'd be asked who fitted it. 

Or you can look the other way and we'll talk you through it. Easy job if you've got basic elastictrickery skills. :ph34r: