UFH suppliers?

oranjeboom

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Fingers inserted firmly into ears.............

For the best really. At least my flamin' team didn't take the effort in qualifying. Anyway, back to the topic in hand.

I've had the old floor slab removed and a further 375mm of soil removed. 160ishmm hardcore back in, but so far not compacted down to 100mm. They were using a lightweght wacker though and they're now saying they will be using some heavyweight thing they use for roads etc (as long as it's not some heavy duty roller that will shake the foundations/walls!

But how level does the hardcore need to be? I'd like it really level as my insulation needs to go in next with 100mm concrete. After their  first attempt it's undulating more than the Welsh valleys. I'd prefer to have my EPS slabs flat too, but I guess they will squish down with the 100mm concrete on top. I'm just wary of voids being created when the concrete is poured and having some areas thicker than others. I think the best approach would be to have plenty of sand blinding in there to have it all pretty level and I can see me doing that for a few days getting it all in, level and flat.

Have a look at my epic. I excavated (personally), by HAND, down to a similar depth and basically stopped when I hit firm clay/chalk. Whatever, it was solid and I was peed off digging. I knocked in a few pegs and then compacted (5kN electric wacker) down a minimum 50mm of homemade Type 1 - basically hardcore I graded through a 40mm mesh. I then levelled it with sharp sand and it was flatter than a flat thing. Immediately over that went 25mm of EPS to protect the following DPM from and sharp bit s of the Type 1 poking through. My thin depth of hardcore was another reason for the mesh as in it's a floating "raft" almost. And just for any new fans out there:

The original floor 60mm higher than the rest of the house to start with:

SAM_0451

Not too bad once I got going:

SAM_0535

The original floor level was where the white painted wall stops:

SAM_0543

Levelling pegs:

SAM_0569

Home made Type 1 going down:

SAM_0635

My purchase off of Preloved when I abandoned making my own electric wacker (watch this space 'cos it's back on the cards):

SAM_1084

Quite satisfying. The missus said "It makes it look bigger!":

SAM_1088

Like a billiard table:

SAM_1091

I think at one point I may have laid naked on this and kept putting the level on it and smiling:

SAM_1093

The moral is to do better at school so you can pay some other **** to do it for you! 

xD

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You've done some graft in that room, in fairness mate ;)

Couldn't (wouldn't? xD) have done it without you lot.

It's not for nothing I wake up screaming "KNOCK DOWN REBUILD!" when I dream of having to do similar to every room in the house! At least I'll be able to retreat to a luxurious WARM bathroom. 

• Like 1

Yes, with hindsight should have knocked the place down. But I hate to 'waste things' whether that is from chucking out 70yr old battens or knocking down a house! 

Not compelled to lie down naked on the hardcore either.:/

I was inclined to do the 'big dig' myself, a room at a time, but I wanted to save my back a bit. I gave them a hand yesterday with barrow-filling but even after almost £3k for labour and type1, I don't regret forking out. Almost 95cu metres of hardcore, earth and type 1 out and back in!:o. No digger either.

Looks like I will have to get my sand and level out then.

Nice pics Onoff - need to upload my blog...

9 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

Yes, with hindsight should have knocked the place down. But I hate to 'waste things' whether that is from chucking out 70yr old battens or knocking down a house! 

Not compelled to lie down naked on the hardcore either.:/

I was inclined to do the 'big dig' myself, a room at a time, but I wanted to save my back a bit. I gave them a hand yesterday with barrow-filling but even after almost £3k for labour and type1, I don't regret forking out. Almost 95cu metres of hardcore, earth and type 1 out and back in!:o. No digger either.

Looks like I will have to get my sand and level out then.

Nice pics Onoff - need to upload my blog...

I've got a piece of timber maybe 10' long that came out of the bathroom ceiling here. It was odd to the rest so in passing I queried it. Supposedly came from Charlton football ground when they knocked the old grandstand down. Got to be worth a few quid. I did think of cutting it into sections and flogging on eBay with a "certificate of authenticity" as the previous owner of the house actually collected it himself from Charlton.

I'm going to put up a "What Have You Hoarded?" thread! xD

Edited by Onoff