Which building inspector

dnoble

I had a surveyor come round yesterday to look at the plot for the self build mortgage folk.

He asked who the building inspector would be and mentioned I could use the council one or employ a private company (which he implied might be more flexible/pragmatic etc)

I hadn't realised this was a possibility. 

Are there benefits of one over the other. Is there usually a significant cost difference here?

It’s called the Approved Inspector scheme and you can get a lot of decent ones, and some are not so good ... just ask @curlewhouse..!

You mention mortgage - do you need a warranty too ..?? If so, a lot of the warranty companies do a combined service for warranty and building control inspections. It’s what I have and the provider of the inspections (Meridian) have been brilliant 

• Like 1

I have to say that (I now know) the L.A ones here have a good name amongst builders, and the private one I've used has a good name in some areas but my own experience has not been that way, so I would definitely  ask locally as it seems to entirely depend on the personality of the BCO him/her self rather than who they work for. All will (should!) keep to the rules of course, but there seems to be a huge difference in how they apply those rules.  Talk to local builders and tradesmen and you'll soon find out which is best in your area. 

Edited by curlewhouse