Approach for garage conversion

Mubbashshir

If you can see the garage picture there is study behind the garage.(which you cannot see however for your information). This garage is 4 metre by 2.5 metre. So not wide enough more on bit narrower side.

My plan build a living cum storage place for other garage items and couple of cycles which can be wall mounted. *I want it to have garage ambiance or retain that look. Any ideas will help*

Question :

1. Any design ideas of garage conversion into living cum storage room.(Couple of cycles & some tools, paint tins)Will BC approve it?

2. I want to take help of builder to first install a french window with ventilation to replace garage door or do you recommend some other door type . I want the door to be wide enough atleast 1.5 to 2 meters wide to get some items through into back garden.

Plan is do floor, wall and ceiling later by undertaking DYI or friends help.

Is this sequence correct or we need to do insulation job done first. 

3. I am planning to purchase used french

door from FB or eBay. Can you please 

advise how ensure I get right size. The

have measured just the garage

door(black metal)

excluding white wooden frame. It's 2000

*2210 mm. Can I purchase French door 

of this size. If the french window is bit

smaller size can the builder fill the extra

space with brick or some other material

or is it better to use companies who

measurements and do fittings.

IMG_20240820_165215828_HDR.jpg

Edited by Mubbashshir

Hi.

There's a fair bit of work of you want it to be habitable space. You have to comply with various parts of building control regulations. Your main challenges will be insulation, ventilation, and access (fire safety). A few questions. 

Can you access the house already from the space?

Do you plan on keeping the separate study at the back? And if so, how is this accessed and does it have external access?

Have any of your neighbours done a similar conversion?

To quickly answer some of your questions. Highly unlikely you'll get a set of used doors to match that opening. You'll likely be building up the floor level anyway, so you won't know what size door you'll need until you have that detail sorted. All doors and windows are custom made to the opening, it may not make economic sense to make an opening match a door, it's usually the other way round. 

Edited by Conor