Underpinning — issue with groundworkers

Oceanjules

Ok, im so stressed right now because of the underpinning and concrete pads in this current project we’re working on. Basically, I have hired a Groundworker company to undertake the underpinning and 2 concrete pads. I gave them the drawing and everything , agreed the measurements of the holes and eventually they dug them out, put mesh and poured the concrete. Now, this is where the problem begins. They poured the concrete without getting inspected by the BCO. The Groundworker forwarded me the images with tape measures (just for underpinning but none for concrete pads). I then forwarded the photos to the inspector and she then got back to me saying she needed to inspect the holes prior to pouring of the concrete. 😱😱😱😱 I then informed the ground worker about the reply and he’s not having it. He wants the payment. I told him I won’t be paying you for the job that needs redoing. He said you should understand that I paid materials and people. 

I made it clear to him that I won’t be paying him and worse case scenario is get a refund for my deposit. 

can someone please tell me what my stand on this? 

thanks

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

I think it is down to who was responsible for getting signoff from BCO?  If nothing was agreed they should know better than just pour the concrete.  Was BCO ever discussed?

Yes. They know it because they’re the ones that done the foundation at the front. The dug the foundation, called the inspector and poured the concrete. Now, for the underpinning and concrete pads they didn’t bother to do it as they were in a rush to get it done and get paid. 

That being the case you did well to withhold payment.  Can you get BCO to meet the groundworker on site to agree a workable solution?  Maybe the groundworker will need to expose part of the pad to prove the depth / thickness or whatever?

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

That being the case you did well to withhold payment.  Can you get BCO to meet the groundworker on site to agree a workable solution?  Maybe the groundworker will need to expose part of the pad to prove the depth / thickness or whatever?

That’s the plan. I have told him to contact the bco tomorrow and mention what the plan is to expose the hole measurements. The groundworkers think I’m making this up as I said I’m getting another groundworkers to get the holes redug. They said, i know my concrete. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ETC said:

The BCO will ask for a trial hole excavated alongside the foundation not inspected. Speak to your BCO.

She didn’t even say that when I forwarded the photo evidences. She just said that all the foundations/bases need inspection prior to pouring of the concrete. The groundworker will call her tomorrow and tell her the plan. 

Unless she can turn back time she’s flogging a dead horse. It’s not an unusual occurrence for contractors to forget to inform BC - ask her if you can do a trial hole. She’s hardly going to make you take the foundations out to look at the ground.

• Thanks 1