Octopus, did i imagine this?

9 hours ago, sharpener said:

And I thought the physical installation of the HP was the major milestone.

[Bob Dylan's Talkin' New York; Verse 7]
Now, a very great man once said
That some people rob you with a fountain pen
It don’t take too long to find out
Just what he was talkin’ about

A lot of people don’t have much food on their table
But they got a lot of forks ’n’ knives
And they got to cut something

Octopus agile for me, average 17p/kWh for the last full year. I could probably get it cheaper if I cut down my energy usage in the expensive period 5-7pm but I’m not bothered my energy bill is around 30% cheaper than my gas neighbours. 

3 minutes ago, ReedRichards said:

But does it cost that much?  This company is selling a 15.5 kWh battery for £2,500: https://www.fogstar.co.uk/products/fogstar-energy-15-5kwh-48v-battery

The installed prices I have found by a quick search suggest that 5k for 5kWh isnt far out.  I don't have recent quotes, when I did try some while ago found it quite difficult to get battery quotes without solar or vice versa.  

Like all products in this sector it seems installed prices bear little resemblance to the product price.  DiY is clearly an option to consider!

Edited by JamesPa

54 minutes ago, JoeBano said:

Octopus agile for me, average 17p/kWh

That's interesting, so slightly more than my simple E7 tariff. If I wasn't paying the standing charge for gas my figure comes down to 15p/kWh. 

But I assume yours is without battery? If that's the case having a smart meter (ours doesn't work) is a real money saver and would make a battery maths hard to justify.

I paid £2k extra for a 3kWh battery MCS install at the same time as solar. It was the only battery option with less than a 10 year payback at the time. I have a thread on sizing it based on smart meter data that may be useful.

Since they added the third cheap cosy period that tariff has been the winner with 5 hours overnight to charge the EV and never more than 6 hours between cheap periods which works pretty perfectly with the 3kWh battery.

11 hours ago, sharpener said:

I don't think they can. To date even my self-install has had a projected ten year payback.

E7 only gives you one go at charging the battery (though I did actually have a gap but it was only an hour so too short to use).

Cosy which as you say is as much a battery tariff as an HP one gives you 3 goes, quite widely spaced apart. It is early days and not really cold enough to tell but I think it will give me a better ROI than E7 did.

Octopus notified me today that my Outgoing Fixed tariff is now operational so it now makes sense to import at 12.11 p/unit and export as much as possible at 15p.

Victron s/w is optimised for battery charging from PV, which doesn't suit this strategy but they also have a Dynamic ESS upgrade. It has a Green mode which prioritises battery charging and self-consumption of the PV generation, and Trade mode which I am trying out - this is more aggressive and seeks to optimise the return by whatever means. Reviews of it are mixed so if it doesn't work for me I will have to write my own flows to do it in NodeRed.

And I thought the physical installation of the HP was the major milestone...

Thats very interesting and useful thanks.  

I currently have sufficient things going on in my life that I don't need a code writing/control system project, much as I would probably enjoy it. 

I have yet to get the HP installed, although that is hopefully now not far off.  At this stage a battery either has to pay for itself with very simple configuration, or Im not going to bother.  Once my HP is installed and well controlled, and my 2mm:1ft scale model of Helston Station a lot further forward than it is now (two to three years hence I expect), I might yearn for writing some code.  

@JohnMo  @S2D2 thanks for the figures.  I will get some up to date quotes and reassess against the above priorities!

Edited by JamesPa