Samples for an imaginary house

vivienz

I need to get hold of some material samples for a house that will never be built.  Bear with me, it will make sense in the end!

Earlier this year, OH and I bought a site in north Dorset with an old woolaway type bungalow on the plot.  There was an attached full planning permission to demolish and re-build; the proposed house is fairly ordinary, 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 storey.  We are in the throes of applying for a new permission to build the house that we actually want, but between the backlogs at the council and an architect with no sense of urgency or even speed, this is likely to take some time to be agreed, even if it goes through without any objections.

I want to demolish the bungalow under the existing planning permission because it has been confirmed as a summer roost for bats and this needs to be done before the end of April, when they come out of hibernation and may take up residence in the building again.  It's quite likely that we won't get the new permission in time to satisfy whatever permission conditions are attached and give notice to building control, hence my desire to use the current permission.  To do this, the existing planning conditions require me to submit samples of the external materials that will be used in construction, as well as windows and doors.  I have been advised by the planning department that the tech drawings supplied by window and door manufacturers in their brochures will suffice for that part, but I still need to get hold of some bricks and tiles, etc.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for this that won't cost me too much and that the council will accept?

1 hour ago, vivienz said:

To do this, the existing planning conditions require me to submit samples of the external materials that will be used in construction, as well as windows and doors.  I have been advised by the planning department that the tech drawings supplied by window and door manufacturers in their brochures will suffice for that part, but I still need to get hold of some bricks and tiles, etc.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for this that won't cost me too much and that the council will accept?

Typically they want 3 bricks which would be under £3 even from BnQ. 

I would take a drive around and see if you can find a house being built nearby. Ask them what they are using as their bricks and tiles will already be "approved" for that location/village. Might even give you a few if you ask nicely.  Failing that contact the manufacturer and ask for samples, you will probably find they are more than happy to send out a box of three bricks for free.  

Most manufacturers send you sample bricks FoC based on what you choose. Go onto Ibstocks website and have a look - they will send you sample boards which are 1 1/2 bricks long by 3 bricks deep which aren’t cut slips stuck to heavy card. Unlikely you will need to order more than 4 or 5 to find a decent match. 

Councils accept these usually without question.

Next stop would be to get a tile sample - again no big issue as all the BMs have these. 

Beware with bricks though, once you register a site address you will get little leeway to negotiate price between BMs as they get a commission from the  manufacturers and like to lock you in .... 

Thanks again, chaps, very useful.

@PeterW - a useful point re. getting locked in to prices with BMs. I'm planning on using MBC for the foundation slab and frame so it will be everything but bricks that i'll be looking for.  If all goes to plan (or the submitted plan in this case) then it will be stone clad on the ground floor and tile and timber for the upper floor and roof.