The number of glazing units in doors

JohnBishop

Hi again,

I think about getting uPVC doors with triple glazing. I could go for double glazed but the point of my question is your recommendation about the number of units per door.
To install a single triple glazed unit to cover the whole door would be quite heavy and difficult to do.
I think even a double glazed unit would pose some challenges to a man.

In the meantime I thought about it and I realised that a single large unit isn't ideal as any crack forces you to replace the whole thing.
How about 2 or 4 units per door? I mean if by mistake I kick and crack the bottom one I only replace that one.
Does it happen often?

Edited by JohnBishop

Modern toughened units don't tend to crack unless you hit them very hard with something like a lump hammer. 

The glazing unit is often the best thermal element of a door, so doesn't make sense to break them up with less efficient frame.

• Thanks 1

On 15/09/2024 at 23:02, Conor said:

Modern toughened units don't tend to crack unless you hit them very hard with something like a lump hammer. 

The glazing unit is often the best thermal element of a door, so doesn't make sense to break them up with less efficient frame.

that's very useful information. I didn't know that so ideally you want as few glazing units per window as possible.

Personally, make sure that all glazing panes are safety glazing at a minimum, no ifs or buts.

If the middle  is float that is susceptible to breakage and not covered under warranty (thermal stress fractures for example), if the door is slammed shut it could crack and for the sake of a couple of quid. It could save you heartache later (less likely to break if safety glass in the middle).

Edited by craig
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2024 at 19:56, craig said:

Personally, make sure that all glazing panes are safety glazing at a minimum, no ifs or buts.

If the middle  is float that is susceptible to breakage and not covered under warranty (thermal stress fractures for example), if the door is slammed shut it could crack and for the sake of a couple of quid. It could save you heartache later (less likely to break if safety glass in the middle).

Ok, so I go for a single large triple glazed unit and you recommend to factor in this as safety glass.
Do you mean every sheet or the one that goes in the middle to be safety glass?

For each window location the combination of glass functionality might differ, your supplier should know what the rules are, assuming they are certified (FENSA etc) I am not sure how the middle pane needs to behave in all situations and don't forget to decide how the glass responds to sunlight if you want to control solar gain etc.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

Ok, so I go for a single large triple glazed unit and you recommend to factor in this as safety glass.
Do you mean every sheet or the one that goes in the middle to be safety glass?

Your supplier will or should specify safety glass but there is no regulations yet on the middle pane of glass in a triple glazed unit.

Only the inner and outer panes.

To save cost, some will leave this as float glass, others will have the middle pane as safety glass (toughened). Basically, if it breaks it’s at your cost.

Large panes will already have safety glass factored in dependent on location (not necessarily the middle pane).

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2024 at 07:21, MikeSharp01 said:

For each window location the combination of glass functionality might differ, your supplier should know what the rules are, assuming they are certified (FENSA etc) I am not sure how the middle pane needs to behave in all situations and don't forget to decide how the glass responds to sunlight if you want to control solar gain etc.

Thanks gents

@MikeSharp01
by the way I agree with your quote. There is a stigma attached to this activity and "procrastination" sounds pejorative. Some people don't want you to think but to remain distracted and/or keep running.