Cat 6 cable query - not fully operational

Hi,

In the new build we specified just one fixed Cat 6 connection - from the services room to the living room to service a smart tv etc.

Now had FTTP installed with a modem in the services room. The internet provider supplied a router, and plugged direct to the modem it achieves 200mbs (the package we've chosen). However, the wireless coverage was poor which was put down to all the equipment in the services room. So, we relocated the router to the living room which is more central and open plan and connected it to the cable outlet and plugged the other end into the modem. The wireless signal is much better but the maximum speed is now no more than 90 odd mbs. Both locations have been tested with a cable connected direct to the router - 200 in the services room at the modem and 94 -95 at the end of the cable. So it's the cable. 

Both the internet installer and our own electrician (not the cable installer) have checked it and say it's wired correctly so why can't I get full speed?

3 minutes ago, kandgmitchell said:

So it's the cable. 

Hmm, as that seems unlikely, let's just check... What are you testing the speed on? ie directly on the router, or via another device plugged in or wirelessly connected to the router.
Are you ensuring there is no other network activity when you do the speed test?
How long ago did the new connection go live. It can take 48 hours to optimise.

I had a friend with a similar problem. However, despite being adamant that the computer he was doing the speed test on was definitely using the ethernet port and not Wi-Fi it wasn’t. I disabled Wi-Fi and the problem was fixed. 

The installation to the house was done a few weeks ago. The internet supplier's engineer checked the speed using his equipment on the day and found the query. Since then I have connected my laptop directly to the router and used a couple of free speed testers, both give very similar results. My electrician also used a tester plugged in at the service room and in the living room - again only 90 odd mbs. No other activity at the time.

24 minutes ago, kandgmitchell said:

no more than 90 odd mbs

Only 90 odd.  Crumbs.

I'm sitting in a house with 20meg broadband tops, and everything works fine and dandy and quickly too.

What benefit does one get from the extra speed or is this just future proofing for the invention of 32k TV (as standard)?

We had 20 odd on a 4g router in the static caravan and to be honest we had no trouble. We went for 200mbs because at £20/month it seemed a good deal. It's more case of why is there 200mbs at the modem and only 100 max at the other end of the cable we paid extra to have installed. Sounds petty but we've had a few issues with the house wiring so are being a bit bullish with this. 

41 minutes ago, G and J said:

What benefit does one get from the extra speed or is this just future proofing for the invention of 32k TV (as standard)?

Working from Home, moving large data sets, simultaneous 4k streams, gaming. And all at the same time for 6 weeks over the summer holidays.

41 minutes ago, kandgmitchell said:

again only 90 odd mbs. No other activity at the time.

I'd redo the terminals at each end of the cable. If you've still got an issue then I'd hazard a guess that you have a long run with the data running parallel to power, but to be honest I've never seen that cause an issue in a domestic set up.

Edited by IanR

5 minutes ago, IanR said:

I'd redo the terminals at each end of the cable.

+1 - almost certainly the issue unless the cable has been damaged in some way.

Assuming everything else is constant except the cable, then logic says it has to be the cable. Just make sure everything else is constant and you're not connecting to different ports. Albeit unlikely nowadays, older routers used to have a mix of 100mbps and 1000mbps ports.

For your sanity, the other option is to buy a long cable from Amazon/eBay and test with that.

9 minutes ago, G and J said:

Great minds or two fools not differing? 😉

Only time and the decisions you make will tell 😉 I always keep a really long CAT6 cable around for exactly this type of testing.

1. Re-terminate connectors. If still the same issue...

2. Buy a long cable. If the issue has gone, then the *cable* in your walls is likely damaged and you'll potentially need to replace it. If the issue is still there, it's not the cable...

If you get to the point where you have determined it is damage to the cable and it is difficult to replace it, then I'd be looking at where I could get a cable to for a better wireless access point - perhaps a ceiling-mounted one.

Sounds like the router is detecting a cable issue and limiting to 100Mbit.

Google suggests...

Most commonly a Cat5e/Cat6 cable only getting 100 is from a punch down that isn’t the correct cable order, a punch down that doesn’t make a good contact or a broken conductor within the cable somewhere. A basic cable tester will tell you if you have the order consistent on both ends or if there are any conductors that do not connect. 

Is the cable run direct? Does it go via a patch panel or is it just a cable terminated at both ends? Any punch down modules on the ends? Any electrical cables running nearby? (they can cause interference, especially if the cable isn't shielded twisted pair, most is unshielded (UTP) as its much cheaper)

The cable runs direct - a male connector in the services room ( worth building your own house just for those two words...) with a female wall outlet. My electrician has checked the "punch downs" and says they're ok. I'll buy a long Cat 6 cable from amazon and try that.