Self build or main contractor

joe90

I am engaging a builder on my self build as he has a huge reputation locally, been around for years and no one has a bad word to say about him or the company. He has been very good at getting my workshop built. He questioned my status of " self builder" and pointed out that as such it's my responsibility to claim the VAT back ( Jeremy knows how this is ) , organise site insurance and he doubts I will get materials cheaper than him. He makes no mark up on materials as a matter of principle, if I want to order stuff on his account ( extra to the build price and not in the quote ( e.g. fence posts) he charges 5% and will probably be cheaper still than I could source. He will charge no VAT at all as he has software ( sage?) that does all this for him and automatically. He is willing for me to do what I want on site, e.g. woodwork ( which is my love) and will not cost this in his quote.

it appears to me that it's better to let him be the main contractor so leaving me with less hassle but still able to work on site doing the things I want.

please discuss 

John.

P.S. I may not respond quickly as tinternet not available on site.

He's right on the fact YOU need to get a self build site insurance policy in place. Part of that will be your employers liability insurance certificate. Like it or not, you are seen as the employer for any contractors you hire. My builders that were contracted to build and erect my frame asked to see this before they started.

As regards materials, anything your main contractor supplies and installs should be charged to you at zero VAT as should his labour. It is only materials that you buy and fit yourself that you will have to pay the VAT on and claim back later.  If he supplies materials that you are going to install then there is an argument that he should charge VAT on them. That's a matter for you to discuss with him. As long as you don't go overboard that may not be an issue.

• Like 1

An interesting point and this is an area I will be having to tackle in the next 12 months or so. On the face of it, all appears acceptable - he is a local builder with a reputation to            maintain. By working with him, I'm sure you will be able to "challenge" any prices if your research suggests his prices are a touch North of what you were expecting.

As you say, this approach would allow you to take a step back and get to involved and enjoy the aspects of the build that interest you.

PW.

I was considering this route.  What I did was to try and put together the most comprehensive price list I could think of (anything I couldn't get a price for I estimated and added about 20% just in case)

I then put a tender out for quote from local contractors and had a figure that I felt I could achieve going direct labour and waited for quotes to compare.

The very few I got back were all well in excess of 25-35k more expensive than i was hoping for a lower standard of finish.

Thus the decision was made.

If you have a local guy who is quoting keen prices and passing on good discount then you could be on to a winner.  For some reason i couldn't get most of the local contractors to even price the job.

Just spoke to my architect and mentioned using my builder and he replied " he is wonderful" " never heard a bad word about him".  With regard insurance I questioned Dave's comment above with the builder and he says his " contractors policy" for a new build covers all aspects of site insurance and I only need to consider loss insurance ( fire or theft of my personal stuff or building as far as it is built). He has done many new builds in the area and the " owner" has never had to take out liability insurance.

Interesting how opinions differ. My builder was adamant that as he was not doing the whole build he could not rely on his own insurance.  It's irelevant anyway, if you take out a self build insurance it will include employers liability, so whether you use it or not, you will have paid for it.

1 hour ago, Redoctober said:

Blimely, I only wish I come across this type of builder when my time comes. How far from the Scottish Borders ? ;)

PW.

I am on the Cornish border, quite far :(