Really pleased I did: small room sealed log burner

While not for those with near or true passivhauus, I've been very pleased with the little 5kW room sealed log burner I've installed in our large open planned kitchen/dinner/living room.  It's only been installed for 3 weeks and now we can start using it regularly we are doing and it works a treat, especially as we can modulate it down nicely.  Sealed air feed from the void under the groundfloor suspended beams fed by numerous external air-bricks.

Looking forward to the real cold nights so we can let it roar a bit.

An Acer Oakdale in Buttermilk - I didn't choose the colour...

22426265_10155889784727577_7903788697387394997_o.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pretty pleased with my little 3kw room sealed Burley- bit like a model T Ford though, only available in black!

Your underfloor feed probably works better than my through-the-wall, which behaves differently depending on wind direction. It's on a north gable and strong northerlies mean that you need to throttle the air intake down a lot more than normal.

• Like 1

Quite fiddly!

Luckily I decided to buy the log burner very early on so we could build the house around it!

The Acer Oakdale did not have an option for a bottom air feed so my Hetas engineer got this adapter made up which slips (sealed with rope) a matching metal square tube that goes into the sub floor void.  This floor metal tube was chopped into the beam and block floor before the insulation and screed were installed (you can just see it behind the black tube in this photo covered in grey tape ) 

20170323_061821.jpg

13 hours ago, readiescards said:

While not for those with near or true passivhauus, I've been very pleased with the little 5kW room sealed log burner I've installed in our large open planned kitchen/dinner/living room.  It's only been installed for 3 weeks and now we can start using it regularly we are doing and it works a treat, especially as we can modulate it down nicely.  Sealed air feed from the void under the groundfloor suspended beams fed by numerous external air-bricks.

Looking forward to the real cold nights so we can let it roar a bit.

An Acer Oakdale in Buttermilk - I didn't choose the colour...

22426265_10155889784727577_7903788697387394997_o.jpg

Looks really good?

• Like 1