Layout master bedroom/WIC/Ensuite

Hi thoughts would be welcomed on floor plan for master bedroom. 
Looking of changing this into either

1. WIC / en-suite side by side with separate door or

2. walk through WIC to a en-suite. Ideally would want a bigger en-suite with his/her sink 

There is a sloping roof hence little storage area here but could be accessed through en-suite or just used for access area for plumbing

Any other options I’m missing?IMG_6462.thumb.jpeg.2eba8a20ccac19fcac3ffe94bfb94056.jpeg

A few suggestions for you.  I think your en suite is unnecessarily too small, and you’ve wasted space underneath the loft hatch.  Don’t think you need to have a door opening out if the room.

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1682.jpeg

IMG_1684.jpeg

On 05/09/2024 at 23:52, Stonehouse said:

So best to have side by side or walk through wardrobe to en-suite ?

The advantage of a walk through dressing room is that it creates an extra sound barrier / distance from the en-suite.  And requires only one door from the bedroom, so more wall space for drawers or whatever.  The advantage of side by side is that you’ll have bigger en-suite / dressing room but less wallspace.

What’s best for you depends on which if those factors is more of a priority.  What I would say is if the dressing room is likely to be a bit messy or untidy, then best to have it’s own door thus do them side by side.  Don’t forget a space for a dressing table, and lots of sockets.    

As you’ve attached your whole floor plan are you seeking feedback / suggestions on the other rooms ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bozza said:

The advantage of a walk through dressing room is that it creates an extra sound barrier / distance from the en-suite.  And requires only one door from the bedroom, so more wall space for drawers or whatever.

This is exactly what I did. Bedroom has no wardrobe just bed, bedside tables and dressing table (looks less cluttered) his and hers wardrobes (hers bigger than his 🤷‍♂️) either side of walkway to en-suite which had bath, toilet, basin and walk in shower. Worked very well for us.

• Like 2

Just a couple of minor observations with the current layout. Why does the door to the master Bedroom open outwards? Will the door to the Store (within the master) be a reduced height door? If not and it is to be cut/chamfered to match the slope, it will currently clash with the slope. It would therefore need to be hinged on the other side.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Why does the door to the master Bedroom open outwards? 

Well spotted, opening a door onto a landing is a really bad idea and may not pass building regs 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

@joe90 BR’s wouldn’t have an issue in that situation as the door would not cross the stair landing. But it’s still a little odd.

Ah, I read the left stairs as ending outside that door (not very clear and I hate all outward opening doors of any sort except fire doors).

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments so far.

@BozzaYes open up views on the floor plans

no reason for master bedroom door to open outwards will change this.

The stairs on the left are going loft guest bedroom. Exploring options with stair designer on alternative options.

10 hours ago, Stonehouse said:

Yes open up views on the floor plans

The current draft has very awkward living spaces / seating locations/ door locations  Very rectangular and nowhere for tv . I’ve attached a rough sketch of downstairs that would address this plus give you a study that easily becomes an accessible bedroom should it be needed.  

reconfigured kitchen diner slightly less sqm but I thinks better quality space and light.

larger pantry, with dedicated plant room or storage, plus even space there for an additional cloakroom opposite if you wanted one.

but of course your house / rules / money :)

IMG_1692.jpeg

@Bozzaalways good to get someone else’s take on things-some ideas  to consider and review 

Probably worthwhile explaining some design choices , had so many little tweaks so probably not evident here and plant room was snuck in here on this version. We are going for clear sight line from fire place to sun room. So double doors, kitchen island all should line up with maybe a feature at the other end. Probably got too many seating areas but we entertain a lot with large family. Thinking the area behind the wall in kitchen would be our TV area and possibly open up the seating if entertaining. Probably better seen in this version

Do need an area for plant room however. Is area where shower in toilet area too small? Depending on ASHP design was hoping to use garage 

Size of the formal lounge has been a hotly discussed debate in the household 😂. I prefer the more square shape, Mrs prefers larger lounge with 2  seating areas using IMG_6539.thumb.jpeg.a8adfb42d97daf99cfd030be254ee116.jpeg window seat so more rectangular 

My plant room / cupboard is a tight 1mx1m.  But don’t give up the shower.  You’ve got room elsewhere for your plant room stuff.

Your Mrs is wrong on the lounge shape.  I get your design idea for line of sight for the fireplace but I still think the lounge shape combined with that door location  still creates an odd seating area at the end of the room and is a bit antisocial and will be dark despite the window nearby.  I’m referring to the sofa backing into the study.  But a good place to seat unpopular relatives :).

if you’re committed to that maybes consider building that dividing wall lounge/study as a stud partition without any plumbing, so you can easily shift it if you need to.

Edited by Bozza
  • Like 1