Planning appeal decisions hit a 12-month low due to pre-election delay

Not a good start…

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/services/weekly-planning-news/planning-news-29-august-2024

I’m on week 53 with one and the inspector just figured out the LPA didn’t file a bunch of docs they referred to - a dozen or more. So much for ‘validation’.

Don’t know why ‘the election’ would hold them up.

I don't actually see why an Election would hold these up - they are decisions made by Inspectors following planning law.

The only reason would be to cater for the call-in process by the Secretary of State, but in the UK Ministers stay in post throughout the Election then change over happens like the flick of a switch.

But the report is in the Telegraph which for me is now a red flag requiring a reliable source, as I observe them including more entirely fictional pieces as reporting or news.

• Like 1

Im sure many companies delayed their appeals mid process hoping they would stand more chance of approval after the election. As expected some areas have had their housing targets dramatically increased so it was probably a good decision.

I asked the other 1/2 who works for central goverment. While the management can be asked to do all sorts of planning ahead of an election, it shouldn't affect the staff except for say, major planning decisions which might get held back to avoid rocking the political boat.

On 30/08/2024 at 11:28, Dave Jones said:

as with any 'service' ran by civil servants absolutely crap.

ours took 14 months, the council dont take into account the 3 month queue for validation to even start.

privatise the lot.

The only one I've ever done - for a 100 unit housing estate - took under 8 weeks.

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

our local council don't even validate any application in under 13 weeks lol

Sorry - I meant that was the time for the Appeal.

The Plannign App took about 7 months from submission, but we used tricks such as doing a Unilateral Declaration not an S106, and were geared for speed.