Vent Detaill for Alu Clad Doors - what to do for the best!

Peter

Hi

We have some Rationel Alu Clad doors already in place -have been for some time! . Please see pics.  These doors require that air flow is maintained at the edge to vent the timber under the aluminium. I plan to fit vertical cedar between the doors. The doors have approx 15mm of wooden frame proud of the wall.  I will use a 20 mm batten then 22 mm cedar.  Any tips as to how I maintain the airflow but stop moisture penetrating the gap between the doors and the timber uprights of the house. I'd also like it to look neat as well!!

I have seen Compriband. Could I compress Compriband between the frame and the cladding edge and yet still leave the vent gap free?  Appreciate any ideas.

Peter

w1.JPG

w2.JPG

w3.JPG

w4.JPG

w5.JPG

I am sure we discussed this before but I can't find the thread.

My neighbour has Rarionel windows and timber cladding. The cladding just turns round the reveal and comes to rest on the front face of the aluminium cladding.

I did the same thing with my own, but mine are rendered. The render turns the corner and stops, with a stop bead against the front of the window.

The important thing in both cases is nothing fills the gap between the edge of the alu classing and the window reveal. (i.e rendering without a stop bed would likely fill the gap with render)

Mine are sealed to the reveal with compriband, but that is far enough back that it is between the wooden part of the rationel frame and the window reveal so again that is not bridging the gap between the wooden frame and the alu cladding.

Very similar to how fitted ours (following on from that very discussion).

Timber cladding turns around the reveal and comes to rest against the alu cladding. The weatherseal, Soudal sealant in our case, is set back from the alu cladding to keep the drainage channel clear.  We used the stop bead method as described by @ProDave for the rendered section of the house, again ensuring the drainage channel is kept clear.

I also have Rationel windows. This detail is bizarrely fiddly and I have discussed it many times with the builder and architect but still struggle with it.

We have mainly stone window surrounds and some render, these will stop around 10-20mm in front of the aluminium frame. The sealant is put in behind the facing material but far enough into the side of the reveal that it does not go onto the front of the aluminium.

I should give a very neat finish as you won't be able to see the sealant looking at the window straight on.

They haven't put the sealant in yet, I will see if I can get a picture in the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...