Tally your preventable mistakes :)

laying a suspended concrete floor with 2 layers of mesh not suspended on the foundations, so just sitting there.

luckily we hadn't poured so it was rectified by removing, but it was noticed by BC not us and the mesh was all too small after being cut to go into the foundations, not on them.

Well done for getting this thread going, @puntloos.  I'm only just getting going, but my biggest mistake so far was spending ages on a detailed design for PP, only to be told I'm not going to be allowed to build anything close to what I want.  I spent far less time on my next several iterations of the design.  The house got smaller each time, & eventually PP was granted.

20 hours ago, garrymartin said:

Get yourself a tone tester. If he didn't test the cables either, something like this would be ideal and would get the job done in minutes... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166191878185

17 hours ago, Pocster said:

Get a cat cable tester . You put a dongle on one end and tester on other . Piece of piss . Pocster knows best 👍

Thanks both, I assume I'd need to terminate? We ran spares to a lot of locations (cctv and access points) so 50% of then will never be used!

9 hours ago, Tony L said:

... my biggest mistake so far was spending ages on a detailed design for PP, only to be told I'm not going to be allowed to build anything close to what I want...

But all the learning you did in the early iterations will stand you in good stead later on. No planning is ever completely wasted .

2 hours ago, Andehh said:

Thanks both, I assume I'd need to terminate? We ran spares to a lot of locations (cctv and access points) so 50% of then will never be used!

Some of the tone testers have crocodile clips to an RJ45 plug, or you could look to buy the fly lead separately. That way you can just bare the ends of a couple of cores to create the "tone" that you then trace at the other end. Something like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generator-Tracer-Tester-Alligator-VDV500-705/dp/B084LKVBM5

image.thumb.png.56ac9fbb678727c763215ba5850561b3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d like to comment on the original title of this thread ‘ tally your preventable mistakes ‘ .

There are 2 possible answers …

1) Everything I did 

2) I ain’t no mofo - there were no mistakes 

I’ll leave it to the reader to decide …

Pocster out 🦄

Edited by Pocster
Woke madness