Replacement pane cost - holy cr*p

Bozza

Four years ago I installed Rationel 3G Auraplus alu clad windows in my self build.  And very happy with them.  Last weekend grass strimmer launched a small stone at speed, that smashed the outer glass.  Pane is 1961x739mm.   Replacement cost £325 + VAT.  If collected from depot 5 hrs round trip.  Cost for engineers to deliver and install.  Extra £919 + VAT.  £1482 total.  Holy moly.

Pane is 50KG and requires two to install.   Supplier was t aware it was an insurance claim when quoting.

Last year when I renewed my home insurance I added building accidental damage option, something I never usually do, but did because of the ever increasing costs of pretty much everything trades related.   Thankfully.

My message is to reinforce how bloody expensive things are, and to consider accidental buildings insurance if you don’t normally do so.  

(I know I could probably get a local firm to pop in something cheaper that would fit, but likely not to match the adjacent door, and would invalidate warranty on the windows).

IMG_7123.jpeg

Ha, I did the exact same this time last year....cost me £1200 (formaplus) to get one of the panes replaced in a four pane window.

Luckily, with insurance it only cost me £250. Bloody expensive and I'm paranoid everything I cut the grass now!

For some Crittall windows, I just ordered a couple of fairly ordinary 2G panels weighing about 50 Kg in total from an online supplier. Cost was ~£650 inc delivery (delivery was £20 from memory). So, £315+VAT seems good value to me.

4 hours ago, Bozza said:

(I know I could probably get a local firm to pop in something cheaper that would fit, but likely not to match the adjacent door, and would invalidate warranty on the windows).

Read your warranty, it’s probably already invalid 😉

Edited by craig