New Joiner...Starting the journey!

Vain

Hi all, Just negotiating for a plot in rural Co Fermanagh. Power is a long way away. 300m+, so waiting for a budget quote to aid negotiations.

Always wanted to build a container home, not sure now after reading lots of posts. Clad Timber Frame or ICF probably. Want that agricultural look and feel. Already picked up loads from reading this forum!

Hoping to share the journey, mistakes, successes, losses and wins to help others. (and use all your knowledge that you have shared and will share!)

Thanks to admin for letting me get involved!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to THE forum for self builders, I started wanting to build in straw bales and ended up brick and block. There is no right way to build and lots of options. Just remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking. Lots of real world knowledge here on all sorts of levels. Bring on the questions (and we like pics 👍)

• Like 1

Thank you @joe90

Appreciate the welcome. Interesting how your build changed. Almost as soon as I stared to explore what we could potentially do on the plot I realised the dream might change! We'll see how we go. Get the plot forst!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

Welcome and fingers crossed for a reasonable quote on the electrics! 😉 

Yeah, finger toes and eyes are crossed here! Thanks

9 hours ago, Jilly said:

Welcome! Yikes, hope it’s not too expensive. There’s always the off  grid rabbit hole. 

Absolutely. Although not sure how successful the tech has got!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

if you are wanting a lender to lend you the money be very careful with exotic non normal builds as they may not lend against them.

Thank you @Dave Jones. I've seen a lot of comments and posts about that on here. Luckily, shouldn't have too big a requirement for a lender. But great to have an eye on that potential hurdle. 

12 hours ago, Vain said:

Hi all, Just negotiating for a plot in rural Co Fermanagh. ...

Welcome, 

12 hours ago, Vain said:

....Want that agricultural look and feel...

That was exactly our brief. We used ICF (won't mention the name because it triggers some here) and clad the build with (now) contraband: Siberian larch. It fades to a colour similar to local local barns: '... the local vernacular...'

Good luck with the build.

Ian

6 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Welcome, 

That was exactly our brief. We used ICF (won't mention the name because it triggers some here) and clad the build with (now) contraband: Siberian larch. It fades to a colour similar to local local barns: '... the local vernacular...'

Good luck with the build.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Can imagine it looks great! Yes, I have been looking at the "He Who Must Not Be Named" ICF. We're leaning towards metal cladding to tie in with the majority of the barns in our area. Hence the idea at the start of using containers. Still trying to sort all the wish list stuff into possible, impossible and "sod it we'll do it anyway!"

15 minutes ago, Vain said:

We're leaning towards metal cladding to tie in with the majority of the barns in our area. Hence the idea at the start of using containers.

I remember a video of a very gifted Irish architect ( I'll look it up later) who built his house out of containers. In planning terms, the issue of local vernacular is quite important locally - may not be where you are. For us, it was a useful lever in securing Planning Permission.

PS 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/grand-designs-architect-offers-his-shipping-container-home-for-auction-to-help-the-homeless/34297141.html

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

I remember a video of a very gifted Irish architect ( I'll look it up later) who built his house out of containers. In planning terms, the issue of local vernacular is quite important locally - may not be where you are. For us, it was a useful lever in securing Planning Permission.

PS 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/grand-designs-architect-offers-his-shipping-container-home-for-auction-to-help-the-homeless/34297141.html

Thanks Ian, I actually emailed Patrick Bradley to try to look to engage him but got no reply! His Grand Designs Container house is only an hour away from us. I absolutely get you on Local Vernacular helping the planning decision. That is exactly why we want to go agricultural. If we get the plot we're after, we'll be up on a hill, above a farm. Last house towards the wild NI/ROI border. Want it to be as in-keeping as possible. The plot already has planning for a house and foundations are already there, otherwise I would have looked at minimal impact screw foundations, to try to sweeten the planners a little more!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G and J said:

Sounds familiar !

Absolute minefield! Cost, Practicality, legislation, planning and the feelings and wishes of my better half!