waste costs thoughts

LSB

We have been quoted circa 10k from 3 difference suppliers for the following.

Waste plant, air blower, 30m sq drainage field, pipe from outside the build to the plant, commissioning and installation.

Two of them have suggested a Marsh Ensign and one a different one, but can't remember which, will find out (not a Klargester)

They all have 25yrs on the treatment plant and 10 years on the installation.

We know that as DIY builders we could do this ourselves for less, but time is dragging on and it will take us a long time, not least to dig out the drainage field.   We have the space, but it's on a slope and they all said it needs to be level for the pipe installation.

No muck away as we can use / spread on the fields anything dug out.

How does this sound for costing.

Depends where you are. However, we were £5k for all of that. That was a Graf One2Clean, remote air blower, drainage field (24m2) plus pipework. That was part of the overall groundwork though so I could have overpaid elsewhere. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Depends where you are. However, we were £5k for all of that. That was a Graf One2Clean, remote air blower, drainage field (24m2) plus pipework. That was part of the overall groundwork though so I could have overpaid elsewhere. 

we are in East Suffolk.

This is a standalone phase and not part of anything else.

Where are you and when was this.

I wonder how much difference the drainage field size makes and the fact it's quite a slope that needs levelling.

We were quoted 9k by one company, but I discounted them as they had no idea when they could do it and were in Norfolk and a one man band so I wasn't confident with the support.

The others were all more professional in their approach, above supplier didn't even come to sight.

3 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> were in Norfolk

OMG - that far away!

he was certainly vey 'yokel' 🙂

50 minutes ago, LSB said:

drainage field size

In my opinion drainage fields are oversized under the building regs.  They are designed to treat sewage but only allow 25% reduction when it is already fully  (98%) treated.

All it really needs is a soakaway for the small amount of liquid.

We hired a jcb and digger fof the big hole, gravel and hoisting in the tank.  The driver said he had put in maybe 30, and always with a 1m3 ish rubble soakaway. 

We divided our complying drainage field into phases 1 and 2. Bco accepted phase 1.

On our next project I will discuss it with the bco and propose a French drain of the right design for the quantity and porosity. I suggest you try that.

Marsh are good.  You order through a builders merchant but Marsh deliver and offload. About £3k.

£5k all up?

If you diy you will need a digger or a lot of manpower/ barrows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LSB said:

we are in East Suffolk.

This is a standalone phase and not part of anything else.

Where are you and when was this.

I wonder how much difference the drainage field size makes and the fact it's quite a slope that needs levelling.

We were quoted 9k by one company, but I discounted them as they had no idea when they could do it and were in Norfolk and a one man band so I wasn't confident with the support.

The others were all more professional in their approach, above supplier didn't even come to sight.

Scotland. The size won’t make that much difference. Ours is also on a steep slope but designed to go the least problematic route with no drops. The levelling was all done separately however so there’s some extra cost there but that was a few hours of effort in the digger. Does your price include electrics or is that separate? My cost doesn’t include electrics. I can’t recall how much that was but most of the cost was the long SWA cable. 

38 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Scotland. The size won’t make that much difference. Ours is also on a steep slope but designed to go the least problematic route with no drops. The levelling was all done separately however so there’s some extra cost there but that was a few hours of effort in the digger. Does your price include electrics or is that separate? My cost doesn’t include electrics. I can’t recall how much that was but most of the cost was the long SWA cable. 

no electrics are separate.