Loft and roof volume to big for permitted development and can I I drag out with council to pass 4 years.

Hi,Im wondering has anyone had this issue where the volume space goes above PD rules.Surely common enough but I dont see much online. basically done a double side and double rear extension with planning permission in place..The council planner told me verbally to just do the loft Pd then there less rules and no one can check it..Not blaming them. House is end of terrace but with Pd rules end of terrace is not mentioned. detached semi detached and terrace.I definitely would not consider my house a terraced.I considered my house semi detached out of these three.Really should say end of terrace as I feel its misleading.I see now that this reduces extra roof volume space from 50 down to 40m3. So I had 1 complaint(next door neighbour against any work from the start complaining to council about small stuff such as drawing showing existing wall too small) saying the roof was to steep from early 2021.The council only got to this complaint end of june 2024 when they contacted my agent for planning. I got onto them straight away and sent pics. Moved into house september 2021 so I guess this is the substantially complete according to what iv read online. Can I apply for lawful development then apply retrospective planning/appeal and get past the next 12 months and get lawful develoment does anyone know if this is possible..can do work to alter but just hassle..

One thing you can guarantee is that the wheels turn very slowly indeed.

Maybe apply for ldc first and see how it goes. The LPA have to ‘investigate’ complaints & breaches but if it’s not a crazy breach or you have not pissed them off already, there’s a good chance they simply can’t be bothered, will give you your ldc and it’s out of everyone’s hair.

LDC, appeal, retrospective, appeal could easily take 3 years.

Thanks Alan,

Guess the important bit is the four year rule. I understand that if enforcement is actioned then you cant apply for LDC. Will they automatically start enforcement when retro planning is refused or will the give time to appeal before they do.Im thinking as long as im contactable and seen to be complying there should be no need to issue it.Also read that during appeal enforcement is stopped so if so can I apply for LDC or because it had enforcement at any point I cant make the four years if that makes sense. No other neighbours complained and there about 50 houses can see it from there rear windows and gardens..But the way the council interpret the pd rules it is outside of it...My feeling is that the council have timed the contact in such a way so that I will have to for the services LDC and retro and there not really bothered..few grand for them at least..maybe im been paranoid but 3.5 years  to make contact seems crazy..