Mortar on indian sandstone slabs

Hi all - First time post, coming here for a bit of advice.

I'm having my garden landscaped by a local company, and as part of that have had sandstone slabs laid.

There have been lots of delays due to weather and other bits, what was originally going to be done over a couple of weeks has taken a couple of months.

The owner of the company i'm using seems to be a nice bloke, but I've got some concerns with the slabs. Originally he had another company coming in to lay the slabs, but they cancelled last minute so he got someone else in. When laying the slabs I noticed a lot of the mortar going on the slabs.

I've been away on holiday and they did the pointing (looks to be with sand and cement), and more mortar has got on the slabs and not been cleaned off. This has obviously now dried very hard.

The guy is currently away on holiday, so I wanted to give the slabs a rinse off to get rid of the dust and see what they look like, and when wet the scale of the mortar staining really becomes apparent. When dry it looks grey and hazy around the edge, not great but less visible. When wet it really is obvious.

I tried the pressure washer, doesn't make any difference at all.

I have some brick acid (Sika 10% stuff), so done a few test pieces from off cuts, and it did not damage the stone, so tried that. I'm aware that brick acid could cause staining hence the test and only trying it on 1 slab. First of all 50/50 which didn't seem to do much, then applied neat with a paintbrush onto a damp slab. The mortar fizzed, I left it for 20 mins (kept checking and didn't let it dry) and then used a very stiff nylon brush. Made a small difference after about 5 minutes of scrubbing. To get the slab cleaned up with this method would probably take me 4 or 5 repetitions and quite a lot of time.

Personally I can't see a way of getting this up with any sort of ease, but I'm *hoping* there is a way of doing it. I'm not going to bring it up to the guy whilst he is on holiday but hoping you can push me in the right direction of how I should approach it when he's back to finish up. Am I worrying about nothing, is this standard procedure and they will get it cleaned off no bother? Or is it a serious issue and I need to bring it up as early as possible?

I've attached a few pictures of both wet (after pressure washing) and as they were drying out.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 21.29.41.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 21.29.41 (2).jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 21.29.31.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 21.29.41 (1).jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 21.29.29.jpg

Posted (edited)

Worth trying a mechanical method imo. Stainless or brass brush (not steel) by hand to begin with - may need some experimentation to find the right method. Do wear eye protection.

You could just wait until the contractor gets back and ask them then. It won’t get worse over a few weeks.

Edited by Alan Ambrose

In all honesty, it looks a right mess IMHO. I would suggest the slabs will have to be replaced, I can't see how those Mortar stains are going to come off sandstone - not what you want to hear I expect and I may well be wrong. Hopefully some with more experience of sandstone slabs will be along to give their thoughts.

This Indian sandstone in the photo has been down a few years that was repointed using easy joint on Sunday.

Who ever laid your slabs hasn't got a clue.

They never should have been jointed with a strong cement mix as they have been, which looks like it was applied wet, via a watering can and has ruined lot's of the slabs, as sandstone is porous.

Two options to joint up sandstone are: Easy joint

or

A mix of 1 cement and 2 sharp sand is brushed into the joints as a dry mix and pushed down using a jointing iron or a length of blue water pipe depending on the size of the joints.

The patio can then be sprayed with a fine mist nozzle or if rain is forecast in the near future. Let nature take it course, and that will set mix.

Can't expand your photo, but have they constructed a step from cut slabs?

17200158352533426713445471162254.jpg

28 minutes ago, twice round the block said:

This Indian sandstone in the photo has been down a few years that was repointed using easy joint on Sunday.

Who ever laid your slabs hasn't got a clue.

They never should have been jointed with a strong cement mix as they have been, which looks like it was applied wet, via a watering can and has ruined lot's of the slabs, as sandstone is porous.

Two options to joint up sandstone are: Easy joint

or

A mix of 1 cement and 2 sharp sand is brushed into the joints as a dry mix and pushed down using a jointing iron or a length of blue water pipe depending on the size of the joints.

The patio can then be sprayed with a fine mist nozzle or if rain is forecast in the near future. Let nature take it course, and that will set mix.

Can't expand your photo, but have they constructed a step from cut slabs?

17200158352533426713445471162254.jpg

They have laid slabs over the existing concrete steps at the back of that’s what you’re referring to? I did say I want all of the existing hard standings replaced with sandstone. Should they not have done this?

I was actually reasonably happy with the slab work. It was square, evenly laid without any bad transitions. Replaced a manhole cover with inset and followed the grout lines etc. so looked like the slab layer had some idea of what they were doing. Do you see problems with the slab laying itself?

The pointing however… I could’ve done a better job myself with 10 minutes on Google.

Do you think there’s any chance of them fixing it, or should I be going straight in with it needs all new slabs and relaying by a third party that we both agree on? They will of course want to do the most efficient (aka cheapest and quickest) way of fixing it but I can’t even see how they’d manage it.

They’re back tomorrow to clear the left over building materials and prep the soil areas for top soil and turf. I just want to ensure my expectations are clearly communicated and hopefully get on the road to recovery.

They are a local firm, been going for years, lots of good reviews and no bad ones. So hopefully their reputation will ensure they commit to getting it sorted.

They look bad, i would have used easy joint as above, and its what was used on our porcelen tiles.

How about a small sample area, with brick accid and an angle grinder with a wire brush to remove the mortar.

May damage the tile under neath but could weather in.

58 minutes ago, twice round the block said:

Two options to joint up sandstone are:

I think there are three. We used a Roughneck Mortar Gun successfully and cleanly on our sandstone slabs.

• Like 1