Assist me! The top five characteristics that architects and designers prioritize in the context of sustainable flooring.

carbon emissions, - I care but can’t quantify with any certainty so this can’t guide me

EPDs, - don’t know what they are.

recyclability - I intend what I put in to last decades so don’t care about recyclability.

sustainability - unless I know that a particular product I’m looking at is really bad news then this isn’t a factor.  I’m not going to have a tiger skin rug but telling between different types of ceramic floor tiles?

aesthetics, - bingo. The big one.  

functionality, cost, durability - all hygiene factors not motivators. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I should warn you that many academics only want to hear you agreeing with them.

Oh dear. 

That may well have been the case some time ago , but now, it isn't. Assessment regimes are much more rigorous than they were.

Aesthetics and cost in that order. You look at the finishings for a very long time (the rest of our lives in our case) so it really matters what it looks like. There’s also practicality. We wanted a real stone floor but they are harder to maintain compared to porcelain and good porcelain tiles almost look as good. 

We never considered anything else for the floor coverings. I did get some samples of bamboo flooring but didn’t like it. We did for some of the other building components but not the finishings. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

bamboo flooring but didn’t like it. 

I have been told by someone fairly expert that there are concerns re how much chemical and epoxy are used in converting bamboo, so isn't as sustainable as might be. 

Then there is child labour.   

• Like 1