Getting started on build. Do I need to notify council of all aspects?

I have just made a start dismantling the old cattery pens from the plot we have purchased.   I spent sometime reading whether I needed to file a demolition request to the council before I started dismantling.  I say dismantling, as a charity is taking the pens to reuse them.  So I took it that as they are being dismantled and are basically wooden pens, that a demolition notice was not required.

Now the next job I need to really do, is to to remove the hedgerow / trees that were marked for removal on the planning application (I understand that if birds are nesting, I cannot remove them).  This is so that I can create a temporary driveway into the plot so that cement trucks / grab lorries can reverse into the plot as opposed to blocking the highway.   The reason for the post is that I am rather confused as to what tasks I can just get on with, and what requires some sort of paperwork to be filed with the council.

Eg, I don't know whether site preparation / clearance is deemed as building has started.   My wife and I are also considering putting in a new planning application, and am unsure whether doing that is best done having not done any work on the site.   The site clearance / temporary driveway works are required regardless of whether we build what is currently agreed or whether we get a new app approved.

Any pointers welcomed, as I have become a bit of a nervous wreck when on site as I am continually worrying that the neighbours will be looking for any excuse to report me to the council.  

If your LPA doesn’t charge CIL, then several on here have started and then changed plans mid-flight. I’m sure they be along in a minute. A different matter if CIL is involved.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

If your LPA doesn’t charge CIL, then several on here have started and then changed plans mid-flight. I’m sure they be along in a minute. A different matter if CIL is involved.

I did contact Basingstoke & Deane regarding CIL, and they replied.  "As there is no CIL charge, In accordance with CIL Reg 67 (1A)(b) no Commence Notice is required and no further action will be required with respect to CIL."

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

🖕to the neighbours 

The neighbour who sold us the plot and then insisted we met a couple of times in person, has now gone completely cold on me when I sent them an email of the revised house design we want to go with.  They didn't even respond to my email.  I wish I hadn't bothered now..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flanagaj said:

wish I hadn't bothered now..

Well at least you tried, their loss, just crack on and they can see what you propose from the planning portal.

• Like 1

>>> As there is no CIL

Fantastic, so you can file a carefully thought out mix of non-material, minor and full plans. Also when fulfilling conditions (materials say) you can change the original application. e.g. you could propose fairly different materials to the original application and, if accepted, you have just achieved a minor amendment by the back door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> As there is no CIL

Fantastic, so you can file a carefully thought out mix of non-material, minor and full plans. Also when fulfilling conditions (materials say) you can change the original application. e.g. you could propose fairly different materials to the original application and, if accepted, you have just achieved a minor amendment by the back door.

This sounds very interesting.   So although the original application stated a clay tile roof / timber windows, could I then propose a seam seal roof and aluminium windows, or would that be a step too far?