Export MPAN

Hi all, I’m dealing with Octopus and here’s the rub.

Solar system went in March ‘24.
11.3kw of panels, with 9.6kw inverters (one 6kw and one 3.6kw), and 15kw of battery storage.  This is the information on the MCS.
The G99 from the National Grid requested a maximum export capacity of 8kw, so a restrictor is fitted.

Applied for export MPAN.  Rejected twice by Octopus as the MCS and G99  numbers don’t match.

Contacted installer who says the numbers are correct.
Contacted National Grid to ask why application has been rejected, and they say, all in order, all good to go.

So who is holding things up?  Octopus?

My smart meter went in 5th April.  Since then we have exported nearly 2000kw to the grid and not been paid for any of it.
At 15p, the rate Octopus are offering, I’m nearly £300 down with no end in sight.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Either with Octopus or anyone else?
How did you fix it?
I’m just about ready to contact the Ombudsman.  This has been going back and forth for 3 months.
Not fair really, is it?
Thank you for any help or advice.
phil chave

AIUI it is Octopus who have to apply to the DNO for the export MPAN see e.g. this thread, some hints there too.

A smart meter can have more than one MPAN associated with it, if there is one etched on it I imagine it would be the import MPAN.

You need seperate MPAN's for import and export, and they aren't the same as the numbers etched onto your meter.

It's not a requirement that Octopus obtain the MPAN, nor are they exclusively the ones able to do it. You should be able to obtain an MPAN from your DNO yourself, if they have had all of the paperwork required for the installation from your installer. Our installed requested an export MPAN at the same time they submitted the paperwork and we had it by return email. I sent this to Octopus and was set up for export in a matter of days.

This is a brilliant thread, thanks to @Rob99, I rang National Grid and they created an export MPAN for me today (my solar and batteries were registered with them previously). 

Now the key question is- will Octopus take  just an export MPAN or do I have to produce all the MCS malarky still? Watch this space when I try tomorrow….

Our PV installer got our export MPAN through the DNO (in about 3 days!) and I gave it to EDF......but we are now on week 6 waiting for EDF to process the MPAN! I've called and emailed weekly. They have said that they will backdate payments to the first photo I sent them with my export reading on it.....we've also given them about 2000kw in the last few months! So maybe take a photo of your reading if you haven't already.

23 hours ago, Phil Chave said:
I’m just about ready to contact the Ombudsman.  This has been going back and forth for 3 months.

I'd persevere with Octopus as they are only obliged to pay you SEG at circa 6p/ unit. The 15p Octopus Outgoing is their choice to pay it/not pay it and I'd be surprised if the Ombudsman can do anything other than insist they pay SEG rates