Comfort Height Toilets

I'm not sure if I have ever used one of these, but I think they are designed for better accessibility. The rim height is higher (e.g. 395mm vs 465mm). That's not currently a requirement for us in our en-suite, but is it generally a good idea? They have another advantages vs box outs as the pan's inlet is higher.

Below are the two options for the same model. I also notice the Comfort Height Pan is 522mm long vs 495mm standard.

image.png.752f3e2b8f95a90fd4f853562c36eb80.png

image.png.fa4a4624b20379aad6a8e8794afc7c74.png

I think it depends on your requirement.

(Update: wildcard - may be appropriate if you or the boss are basketball players.)

If you are going to want one *somewhere* for the sake of having one, then I'd put it in the bathroom which is accessible - when we moved in to ours the shower was upstairs, and bathroom downstairs, so just as she needed a shower not a bath mum was required to walk upstairs - which was loopy and we re-did both bathrooms. Silly decision by the previous owners.

If you know that you will need one (eg disabled or elderly person who needs it), fine - it's a nobrainer.

The temporarily adaptive alternative is usually a high-rise seat, or a seat in frame that stand over you loo - this sort of thing. It's really horses for courses - if you have a continuing requirement, then I'd consider your whole shower / washing etc setup from that angle.

If you have the luxury of an extra loo or shower room, then perhaps put on in the one you make your "adapted" shower room.

I wrote a series of about 6 articles about some of this over on my blog : "Accessible Ablutions". You can generally navigate it, but may need to search a little:

And also a forum thread:

51iwTrGeIeL._AC_SX679_.jpg (679×881)

61f4cvaixOS._AC_SX679_.jpg (679×464)

• Thanks 1

I put a standard wc up on a wooden plinth once. About 75mm up from memory. It made  a huge difference for the elderly person concerned and most others were ok with it.

The advantages were total solidity, it looked just like a normal wc,  and no loose bits to feel insecure, to get lost or to clean.

Sadly it became redundant but it could then be lowered to normal height if so wished.

It’s an interesting debate. We had it too. How accessible to make the downstairs loo. We’re in our late 50s and relatively fit (just completed the Cateran Yomp a few weeks which is 54 miles in under 24 hours) This is likely our last house so we will be old (hopefully) at some point. I also have a joint pain/soft tissue pain problem that I’ve had since my 20s. By and large it’s not been too much of a problem but will likely disable me as I get older. In the end built the downstairs loo for now rather than later but the walls are all framed with OSB for attaching grab handles and loo could be adapted or changed. The shower we made big enough to get in if you had some difficulty with movement but easy to adapt. Same with all the kitchen units. Everything low down is drawers not cupboards. 

I'd say all of it is key, and the toilet pan is a relatively minor issue - that can be replaced in half a day for a couple of hundred.

Getting the basics right is more important, and things like handrails, grabrails and accessible taps (single leaver, easy to reach, low effort - whether singles or a mixer) are of benefit to everyone so should be included anyway.

More fundamental things need more thought - what if you don't have room to back a wheelchair next to the loo, or to turn it round? Or if you have water pipes running where in future you may need to put a Hitler Trombone on the wall?

I was limited with putting a floor flat shower in one bathroom because I would have had to dig up the underfloor heating in the slab to fit the drain - so it is still up a small step. That means no wheel-in shower.

It always all about taking advice, taking time to think and scenario-plan now and in the future, then allowing for or making the choices you may need.