How can we tidy/improve this garage visually..

We didn’t see the point in spending money doing it up at the time the house was done but now regret it as it’s an eyesore compared to the house!

What paint will stick to the upvc roller doors? Graffiti spray paint in anthracite?? Also thinking we could paint the bricks anthracite & pull off the upvc garage entrance strips, just seems to be normal brick behind, doesn’t interact with doors so no clue what they’re for other than apparently decorative? Could we paint the upvc fascia’s too? Paint recommendations for that welcome too.

We do have planning permission to put a pitched roof on it but I don’t know what this pitched roof is for other than to look pretty, maybe in 10 years we might want to convert it into another type of space in which case spending lots of money on it now is kinda pointless as we are happy just to use it as a storage garage for the foreseeable future.

Any other relatively DIY friendly solutions welcome. Keeping in mind we have a 100sqm driveway also to sort out ourselves (my next post) and I’m not sure we can handle a lot of involved DIY on it, though obviously will take the sensible advice of members if we’re not taking it far enough.

IMG_9090.jpeg

Wouldn’t rendering the brickwork, painting that to match the house render colour and paint the garage doors to match the house window colour link it for very little outlay?

• Like 1

But does this make sense if in 10 years we alter the garage door openings, I think long term we’d replace one garage door with a normal door & brick up one side. Still after recommendations for plastic roller door paint type, otherwise if it’s all scrapping and flaking off nearly immediately that will probably ruin any attempt to tidy it up.

I’m just not sure how good our rendering ability is & labour costs round here are sky high… but maybe we are able or at least dumb enough to render it ourselves..

Posted (edited)

Probably something I didn’t add I believe there is also a bit of movement in the foundations, some slight diagonal cracking in one location, the lintels above the windows are totally shot, the garage slab is also cracked in half on one side (the two sides of the garage were actually built at different times), nothing particularly progressive but in reality external rendering could still crack without major improvements hence why any option needs to be a diy improvement rather than having to pay for skilled people to come in.

Edited by rh2205

14 minutes ago, rh2205 said:

I believe there is also a bit of movement in the foundations,

14 minutes ago, rh2205 said:

slight diagonal cracking in one location,

15 minutes ago, rh2205 said:

the lintels above the windows are totally shot, the garage slab is also cracked in half on one side (the two sides of the garage were actually built at different times),

Then IMO just a coat of paint on the doors till you renovate it properly, no point in wasting money now.

Would it look weird if we painted the garage doors anthracite, just have a slight aversion to white garage doors… otherwise you are probably right given the condition of it it’s not worth spending too much now other than to try and make it look semi in keeping with the house.

Still a bit against leaving the brickwork bare especially as down one side of the house in the side garden it’s already partially painted white by the previous occupiers, but I know painted brickwork can look pretty awful too.

Anthracite would work too as it ties it to the roof tiles. I’d also paint the timbers anthracite. Our whole garage is anthracite, which is quite big. Being dark it disappears surprisingly well. 

Attach a trellis and grow something up it to hide the painted bit. 

Edited by Kelvin

Oh good idea on growing something up it once painted, plenty of scope for that given the driveway that needs sorting! Yes I did wonder whether anthracite would just make the damn thing disappear I’m glad you have confirmed my suspicions 😂

😂 It won’t disappear unfortunately. Fit some mirrored doors. 😂 

But darker colours help hide stuff especially if it’s already a bit shaded. 

On 20/06/2024 at 09:38, rh2205 said:

spending lots of money on it now is kinda pointless as we are happy just to use it as a storage garage for the foreseeable future.

🤷‍♂️