Vacuum glazing

Hi 👋 been lurking a while, we're about to submit planning for our new build and hoping to get tips etc from you guys. (Have done 2 new builds with a main contractor on the shell so some experience but this will be our family home 'big build' and we want to do a more 'personalised' build)

We've been looking at window options, would like traditional sash windows though ideally not timber, so aluclad or upvc I guess, has anyone installed vacuum glass? Feeling it would be aesthetically better in a sash than triple galzing and has obv thermal & acoustic benefits.  

Interested in anyone opinions on it and any ideas of cost compared to a triple glazed option. Also anyone know of any suppliers of sash windows with vacuum glass?

Thanks all 🙂

22 minutes ago, lizzieuk1 said:

vacuum glass

Tech specs look good. You may be surprised by the price, but sure in a good or bad way.

Looking at the specs, they quote the U value for the glazing unit only, not the window. So depending on frame that figure could be better or worse.

I would choose your frame, then tell them to quote with the vacuum glazing. All companies buy in glazing units.

Or get a quote direct yourself 

https://fineo-vacuum-glazing.co.uk/new-vig-technology-for-older-properties/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmrqzBhAoEiwAXVpgopshC3r1JHPktll0X4iUmu7osYDF58q_w4fDppojtzb4AGXkxC9xCxoCggkQAvD_BwE

Another alternative is krypton filled which is better than argon filled.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2024 at 10:31, JohnMo said:

Tech specs look good. You may be surprised by the price, but sure in a good or bad way.

Looking at the specs, they quote the U value for the glazing unit only, not the window. So depending on frame that figure could be better or worse.

I would choose your frame, then tell them to quote with the vacuum glazing. All companies buy in glazing units.

Or get a quote direct yourself 

https://fineo-vacuum-glazing.co.uk/new-vig-technology-for-older-properties/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmrqzBhAoEiwAXVpgopshC3r1JHPktll0X4iUmu7osYDF58q_w4fDppojtzb4AGXkxC9xCxoCggkQAvD_BwE

Another alternative is krypton filled which is better than argon filled.

Thanks JohnMo

Do you think its worth getting the glazed units separately, cost wise? And would we then fit those ourselves or supply the frame manufacturer with them? I'm really not keen on the 'stick on' bars so wondering how we can get an internal bar 🤔 

I had seen the krypton ones so presumably they could be 2g to gain 3g values??

Have chatted again and we will look into timber a bit more as well, with modern paint application I think they could actually stack up reasonably maintenance wise & perhaps the u value would be reasonable too.

On 16/06/2024 at 13:56, nod said:

We installed UPVC sash throughout our previous build Acoustics not great due to the design of sash 

Do you think that was due to the manufacturer or just a 'standard' result with the upvc sash? Do you think timber/aluclad would have been better?

1 hour ago, lizzieuk1 said:

And would we then fit those ourselves or supply the frame manufacturer with them? I'm really not keen on the 'stick on' bars so wondering how we can get an internal bar 🤔 

I had seen the krypton ones so presumably they could be 2g to gain 3g values??

I would get it all done by someone else.

Krypton isn't quite 3G but reasonably close with good frames.

Frames can make or break a good U value.

2 hours ago, lizzieuk1 said:

Do you think that was due to the manufacturer or just a 'standard' result with the upvc sash? Do you think timber/aluclad would have been better?

I think it’s sash windows in general We used an award winning company 

Quickslide 30k back then So not cheap