Sealing concrete blocks / Building Regs

OJC

Hello,

I’ve had an extension done using concrete blocks as the plan is to render.

However, the budget has worn thin so I can’t afford the render right now and Building Regs are pestering me to get the project completed.

Im therefore looking for a product that would seal the block work whilst being Building Regs compliant.

I did find a product by Safeguard, that is BBA certified but the building inspector claims this certificate isn’t good enough for sign off using that product.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Don’t seal them The render won’t stick 

Also if your using a breathable render It sort of defeats the object 

Hi Nod,

thanks for your reply.

Is there anything I can do as a temp fix before render?

Im worried that the BI is going to issue a Contravention Notice as they’ve already extended the timeframe a couple of times.

Render it. Get a diy friendly* product that can skim on roughly. Let it have swirly trowel marks in mediterranean fashion.. You can apply a finish another time. You of a pro.

* with latex in it for ease and stickyness.

1 hour ago, OJC said:

Hi Nod,

thanks for your reply.

Is there anything I can do as a temp fix before render?

Im worried that the BI is going to issue a Contravention Notice as they’ve already extended the timeframe a couple of times.

The problem that you will have is If it says render finish They will hold you to that before sign off 

Thanks for your replys!!

To do the whole thing (3 of all 4 walls have some blocks on them, existing is brick) is just outside our budget at the minute.

Ill definitely look at the DIY option as that sounds relatively cheap.

Mr Punter, yeah he’s saying it has to be done for sign off.

Thanks again

44 minutes ago, OJC said:

definitely look at the DIY option as that sounds relatively cheap.

I am no expert. I am rubbish at plastering. But I did a render onto block walls in Spain, using a local product. One area had a first coat to get it a bit flatter. an another was straight on. The blocks shapes are visible. The product  was very smooth and stuck on well. It isn't good work but nobody could say that it isn't rendered, and it keeps rain off the blocks.

If it helps, I think it was this, and it came in white or yellowy/ sandy colour. Suitable for external, and waterproof.  5 euros for 25kg.    probably twice that here.   At least you might talk to your local proper builders' merchant.

Morcemsec capa gruesa blanco 25kg