Top Bottom Same End

Is this a sensible way of connecting a radiator? We have a restricted space which will just take a 1400 wide rad provided both the valves are at the same end and the other end has blanking plugs.

Is this reasonable or will it result in such poor water distribution that we would be better off having a 1200 with TBOE connections?

Rads in either case will be 600 mm high K2.

I am mindful that radiator performance figures are usually quoted for Top Bottom Opposite End which of course hardly anyone does in practice. So I wonder if TBSE is any worse than having both connections at the bottom which is a common practice.

It might work only if the flow goes in at the top but I would go for a smaller radiator connected at opposite ends, which most likely to work effectively.

4 hours ago, Bonner said:

It might work only if the flow goes in at the top but I would go for a smaller radiator connected at opposite ends,

That is my preferred option, in either case the flow will go into the top to avoid having the TRV at low level obstructed by furniture. System will have a powerful pump (in Vaillant 12kW HP) but I am still concerned about the flow reaching the far end.

However the installer is keen to fit the very largest possible rad.

Does anyone know the performance penalty for the usual BBOE connection compared with TBOE for which the charts are given? 10% springs to mind but I have no idea of the basis for it.

OTOH this link states BS EN442 requires rads to be tested using TBSE. It allegedly gives 2% more output compared to BBOE. Not what I thought but if true it will in fact be slightly better.

Maybe @JohnMo will know, as with many other things?

11 hours ago, SimonD said:

TBSE 1.00

TBOE 1.05

BOE 0.96

Here are the actual figures.

Installer's Heat Engineer emitter schedule has 1172W for the 600 x 1400 with MWT of 47.5C. I don't know what conditions the s/w assumes, maybe TBSE if that is in the BS/EN.

Under the same conditions the 600 x 1200 will  be approx 6/7 of that so 1005W. But I can plumb this one as TBOE so it wiil be 1.05 x as much, 1055W, and recouping some of the loss from the smaller length, I will put this to the installer as it will look better in the room.

Useful discussion as I realise another bedroom also has a TRV which will be easier to get at if TBOE and as a bonus 9.4% more output over BOE (so my 10% upthread was very nearly right!).

Thanks both, invaluable input once again.

9 hours ago, sharpener said:

Heat Engineer emitter schedule..I don't know what conditions the s/w assumes,

I've used the Heat Engineer calculator once for a new installation and don't recall there being any input for connections, but that was about a year ago now. I'm not a fan of the software - I did all my calculations for the system and then after a couple of weeks it all disappeared from my account with no records available. Won't be using it again as I also didn't receive any reply from one of my support messages which was actually about why my payment wasn't going through when i was trying to set up a subscription! I prefer my own spreadsheet which not only has a rough calculation section for strawman design which is surprisingly accurate, but I have complete control of every input I want and can really play around with it as I wish.

• 1 month later...