Extension via "Prior Approval" in the green belt?

I'm baffled - the benefit of your experience, and points of view is appreciated, please!

Basically, my question is: In the greenbelt, does the 30% additions take precedence over the Larger Extensions rule via Prior Approval? Or can I still add an extend?

Now for the context.....

I have a Planning Consultant but he says he isn't sure! Worrying!

Our house is in greenbelt. But not listed and not AONB. There are no conditions removing Permitted Development. This is our forever house, not a flip.

The house has 2 previous extensions (prior owners) with planning permission in 1978 (side, first floor addition over existing ground floor) and 1993 (rear, double storey 3m deep and 50% of the width of the house). The house is now approx +80% from the original, so well exceeds the 30% permitted.

The 1993 extension at the rear was labelled as "double storey" but due to the catslide roof design, the first floor space is largely unusable due to head height. It is 3m deep and approx 50% of the width of the original house. This is where the only bathroom in the house is, and you have to bend to use the toilet, sink and bath.

After 18 months and 2 Planning Applications, we've at last been granted a dormer on the rear so we can stand up in the bathroom, by arguing Special Circumstances should permit an addition as the bathroom facilities are clearly inadequate for modern living.

I would like to add a single-storey rear extension to make a kitchen-diner. This would be by making the 1993 extension deeper (from the current 3m) to 7m total depth from the original rear wall of the house. This would be ground floor only.

My neighbours on all sides are supportive. We are on a large plot so this would be nowhere close to 50% of the curtillage. The extension couldn't be seen by any neighbour ir the road, and won't affect any neighbour's amenity.

Can I do this under Prior Approval? 

The Council have made clear they will not approve any further planning applications, and refused our offer to "offset" by removing larger outbuildings on the property to reduce volume of built environment overall. 

Thank you for reading this far if you've stuck with it! All advice gratefully received.

Do you mean Permitted Development (PD), rather than Prior Approval?

With the previous extensions it would seem very risky to build when you might not have PD rights. .

In view of the planner’s comments you could submit an application with the intention to going to Appeal if they refuse you, perhaps? 
@joe90 has experience.

25 minutes ago, ShadowZ said:

have a Planning Consultant but he says he isn't sure! Worrying!

Yes that is worrying but he should be able to find out, I am. It sure myself, I know little about green belt rules. 

26 minutes ago, ShadowZ said:

The Council have made clear they will not approve any further planning applications, and refused our offer to "offset" by removing larger outbuildings on the property to reduce volume of built environment overall. 

I think it’s down to your planning consultant to either prove the council wrong or find a loophole to allow you to do this. It will not stop you applying and going to appeal if they do refuse.

29 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Do you mean Permitted Development (PD), rather than Prior Approval?

With the previous extensions it would seem very risky to build when you might not have PD rights. .

In view of the planner’s comments you could submit an application with the intention to going to Appeal if they refuse you, perhaps? 
@joe90 has experience.

Thanks Jilly. Yes, Permitted Development - I think the process/forms I'd need for a rear extension over 4m deep on a detached house is "Prior Approval" within PD. But if anyone can confirm, or point me to another route to explore, that would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

PD relates to the original/as-built house. The existing two-storey at the rear is already at the limit. Anything you add to it would require Planning as the “resulting” extensions would not meet the PD requirements.

I'm with @DevilDamo on this. The "Prior Approval" arrangements were baked in so as to allow some extensions to be 8m deep on detached houses not in conservation areas, AONB's etc. However, your existing two storey rear extension is at the limit of 3 metres allowed. You can't add a further 5m to that extension at ground floor level as "the enlarged part" (i.e the total extension beyond the original rear wall) would be regarded as including the first extension. Thus the combined new and first extension would be more than 3m deep and anything containing two storeys cannot not be further out than 3m in order to be classed as permitted development.

Is there potential for a single storey extension on the non-extended side? Could that help with a bit of internal reorganisation?

You could remove the existing two-storey rear extension to build the 8m rear extension under Prior Approval. It wouldn't be assessed in relation to the 30% Green Belt limit.