Protec Warranty, your experience?

Hi all, I've been looking around the forum for a while but haven't posted before.

We've started our self build and had quotes for with Protec being the cheapest, still £4k.

I've read a few posts on here about Protec being fussy about the checks or trying to pass the risk over to other professionals and I'm wondering if that's normal experience with warranty or if Protec are worse than others?

We will need a mortgage at the end of the build so want a warranty to keep the options open.

The next quote was at least £2k more but no point buying cheap but paying lots of extras as we go.

I haven't asked build store for a quote, but from comments I've read here they may be having issues anyway?

We are up to DPC with our annexe, the house just has the concrete in the ground, and I've had a quote for the warranty inspections to start at stage 3, structural. The difference in price between starting from stage 1, foundations, to starting at stage 3 was tiny.

It's very much a self build, I'm doing a lot of work myself and using smaller local companies and tradespeople with lots of experience so no main contractor, an architectural technician, and lots of work by a structural engineering company.

We had Protec on our previous build

each visit lasted 10 minutes Four in total Stayed in the car for foundations 

To muddy Inspected roof from the ground Said I’d made a cracking job 😁

Final sign off Didn’t walk around the outside or go upstairs Less than ten minutes 

They know that they will never pay out 

Will your architectural technician provide a warranty? Ours did and its accepted by mortgage companies.

He was marginally cheaper than other warranty providers and so much more detailed in his inspections. Which was overall good.

@nod, how long ago was that and where are you based? I guess who the inspector is makes a difference.

@Moonshine I didn't know an architectural technician could offer a warranty, I'll ask him if it's something he can do. He's very detailed but would be easy to work with if he's interested in doing that.

36 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

@nod, how long ago was that and where are you based? I guess who the inspector is makes a difference.

@Moonshine I didn't know an architectural technician could offer a warranty, I'll ask him if it's something he can do. He's very detailed but would be easy to work with if he's interested in doing that.

Check any mortgage details or prospective one, ours allowed it from architectural technician 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I've read a few posts on here about Protec being fussy about the checks or trying to pass the risk over to other professionals and I'm wondering if that's normal experience with warranty or if Protec are worse than others?

Protec has become worse. A total PIA to deal with and asking for ridiculous details photos and lots of other nonsense - the 'underwriter' arbitrarily adding new requirements as they go along that are incorrect too and won't communicate properly. Our BCO also said their company had stopped working for Protec because of this and will only work with Buildzone now. Just my humble opinion being one of their customers.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SimonD said:

Protec has become worse. A total PIA to deal with and asking for ridiculous details photos and lots of other nonsense -

It sounds like you are dealing with them at the moment? Are you nearly finished and trying to tie things up? Are they asking for details and photos from early on in the build? I have a few photos, but not much and I can imagine it being a pain when we get to the end and want it signed off.

We are quite early in the process but had a quote to start inspections at the structural stage. The price difference is minimal, £65, and it gives me more time to check the insurance out.

If they are going to be asking for details and proof from early on then I may need to reconsider.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It sounds like you are dealing with them at the moment? Are you nearly finished and trying to tie things up? Are they asking for details and photos from early on in the build? I have a few photos, but not much and I can imagine it being a pain when we get to the end and want it signed off.

We are quite early in the process but had a quote to start inspections at the structural stage. The price difference is minimal, £65, and it gives me more time to check the insurance out.

If they are going to be asking for details and proof from early on then I may need to reconsider.

I'm just passed pre-plaster stage and yes, some of the stuff is from early on in the build, even though I provided all the stuff requested by combined BCO and Warranty Inspector. One of the issues was foundations. They tried to claim that there was too much water in the trenches and pads before the pour and therefore this would invalidate the structural warranty. I had an argument about this with them and they finally backed down, but it took a couple of months. Then they claimed loads of stuff was still outstanding and despite me forwarding on an email from the bco/inspector that everything was resolved and okay, Protek won't accept it - I still haven't had an answer from them what they need as who else can resolve the issues than the BCO?

The BCO also told me their experience was also that the unknown underwriters have a regular habit of asking for silly petty stuff and unecessary details, including a ridiculous number of photos and documentation.

I'v basically told them I'm not prepared to discuss anything further with them directly and that any outstanding items will be dealt with together with the BCO at final sign off stage, then they email me to say that was their decision too 🤷‍♀️

I frankly sometimes wonder why I bothered....

Edited by SimonD

Thanks for that
@SimonD it didn't sound like they are making it easy.

Are you using their appointed BCO? I'm using LABC as they were very helpful early on, and still are. They're not as picky as it sounds like Protec are being.

I know he takes photos at every visit but if I'm starting from structural stage and they want details of earlier inspections that's going to get complicated.

I'm definitely going to have to ask a lot more questions before I sign up, and I'll try build store again and see if they will offer cover starting at structural stage fit a reasonable price.