Worcester Bosch Combi GSHP PV Eddie integration.

Hi all, I had a GSHP installed around 12 years ago and it's been brilliant. I'm now in a position to install PV as I also have an EV. I'm keen to use an Eddie to heat my DHW and limit export. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about ease of integration. My installer tells me that he thinks my DHW heater is external to my tank and can be set to either 3,6,9 kW. He's not sure if an Eddie heater can be added. It may need a new tank? Maybe it depends on the manufacturer or model number? I'm not sure. Does any have any valuable tips and knowledge? Thanks in advance.

22 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

the way the  eddi works, it takes over control of the immersion so its not longer wired to the heat pump.

it can take a signal from the heat pump to turn it on.

Thanks Dave Jones. Worcester Bosch have told me that they feel it's not possible. I need to see if my VB100 cylinder can take an immersion.  I'm begging to think that my PV installer might know more when they attend to complete the survey. Having an Eddie control my DHW is key for me so the GSHP runs much less in the summer months. 

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

maybe yout tank can take 2 immersions, can leave the boiler one as is and add another driven by eddi ?

I've just discovered that my heat pump has an internal hot water tank (185ltrs) with the external Boro VB100. I've contacted Sweden to see if this can take an emersion controlled by the Eddi. If not then maybe a tank replacement is required (larger) that has this ability so I export very little.

25 minutes ago, gustyturbine said:

If not then maybe a tank replacement is required (larger) that has this ability so I export very little.

Do the calculations on this. What tariff are you on? How much hot water do you use? Can you get paid for exporting? How much money will you actually save Vs heating off peak using the heat pump?

In my case, does not make economic sense to use a diverter.

33 minutes ago, Conor said:

Do the calculations on this. What tariff are you on? How much hot water do you use? Can you get paid for exporting? How much money will you actually save Vs heating off peak using the heat pump?

In my case, does not make economic sense to use a diverter.

I'm with you there Conor. The only reason my GSHP runs in summer is for DHW. I definitely need to stop that heat pump running in summer as it costs financially. There is a point when you're heating water that you won't use for sure and then export makes sense. I'll be jumping across to Octopus once the PV is on.

Right, nothing is ever easy! So, my heat pump has the internal 185ltr DHW tank with an inline 3,6 or 9kw immersion setting. The tank can't take a second immersion. The Boro VB100 tank that sits externally is a buffer for the heating system. I think mine is more awkward as it's a Combi heat pump. so, I think the best option for me is to use the PV to charge the battery and use that to run the heat pump. I'm not sure how the control will operate yet and I need to work out how long my battery will last for. How annoying 😞

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - I'm having my solar and battery fitted on the 15th of July. Following the installation of the 10.4kw PV and 13.5kw/hr battery I'm going to jump across to Octopus. That will allow me to charge my EV and house battery at night and run the heat pump until 05.30am on cheap rate 7.5p per unit electricity. I can then export PV power at 8p and use/top up the battery during the day.

The one thing I'm not sure of is how the battery will deal with a heat pump load as I'm unclear on what the heat pump really pulls during winter. 

In hindsight I wish now I'd not fitted a Combi heat pump but 10 years ago I could have foreseen this issue.

1 hour ago, gustyturbine said:

The one thing I'm not sure of is how the battery will deal with a heat pump load

The house loads including the heat pump are drawn first from the battery then the grid or if the loads are over the inverter capacity from battery and grid at the same time.

In winter the pv will give you next to nothing most days, when it's sunny the solar day is short, so the kWh captured isn't huge.

Thanks JohnMo, that is pretty much as I thought. At least in winter I'll be able to import cheap night rate electricity and use that during the day. The heat pump will soon use that up though so I'll use the heat pump until 05.30 in the morning. I should have a full battery then for the days consumption when the heat pump will consume again in the late afternoon/evening. Regardless, it will be much better than what I currently have.