Party wall issue

Posted (edited)

I've dug foundations 800 down very close to the boundary but on my side of the fence.

Neighbour was doing extension and dug my footings. Now work is not continuing he wants me to do a party wall agreement. The building has not gone up but the footings have been dug . What should I do?

Edited by vik2001

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry I don't really understand what happened here or what the question is, some clarity might help others too.

You were planning to build an extension.

Neighbour planned to build an extension.

You decided to save costs by sharing the foundation for the party wall of the extension

Neighbour now cancelled their extension but you will still build yours.

Neighbour now wants party wall agreement.

Is that correct so far? I'm pretty sure party wall agreements are mandatory so what other choice do you have? Are they making any unreasonable demands?

Edited by NailBiter

No neighbour was the builder. He did the digging to my footings. Then we stopped works due to other issues between us.

Now he wants a party wall agreement 

53 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

A PWA cannot be enforced retrospectively. End of.

So am I still able to put the extension up from the footings. Or is that seen as I should serve a notice first?

I understand you saying it can't be enforced after, but me putting the extension up is still seen like the footings, it can't be enforced?

38 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

No as works have started. Why are you talking about putting the new wall up now? You said you’ve stopped the works? 

Yea I stopped thr work at foundation level.  But I need to restart the works with someone else...

Again I am no lawyer but reading that the PW agreement cannot be retrospective (as said by @DevilDamo) so no action can be taken, crack on IMO let your neighbour spend money chasing you if he wants just keep planning and BC happy. 

27 minutes ago, vik2001 said:

Yea I stopped thr work at foundation level.  But I need to restart the works with someone else...

Got it now Bit like your ex wife not liking you new one No particular reason other than it’s not them 

Tell him to get over it The moment as been and gone 

• Like 1

He basically not happy I've gone elsewhere, and wants to dispute me building so just looking to cause trouble.  So he's talking about me getting surveyors

3 hours ago, vik2001 said:

So why on another post are you asking about re-instating the wall below the steel? 🙄

2 hours ago, vik2001 said:

He's talking about my exvacation being 3 or 6m close to his...

It doesn’t matter (now) as you have started works without an agreement. Read the PWA or get in contact with a PWS should you want further clarification or confirmation. 

To put it back but then start with somebody else so this wall will end up coming out again…

Just erect an insulated timber stud wall until the next builder has reviewed and ready to start.

The reason he was saying I need a pwa is because I excavated within 3 metres of the boundary. So because I started excavated earlier before the pwa does not apply retrospectively?

36 minutes ago, vik2001 said:

So because I started excavated earlier before the pwa does not apply

Correct. If he’s being difficult, ask him for his PWA and see what his response would be. 

• Like 1