Uniclic 14mm bamboo

Hello all

I'm hitting a stumbling block...   I'm trying to lay some bamboo hardwood in a small (12 sqm) room.  

Try as I might I cannot get a plank to mate with another plank (1.5m). I can get small offcuts to mate but nothing plank size.  Tapping with offcuts (doctored to stop stress on the tongues) does little.  Using an S brace and smacking with a hammer does even less.  Even weighing in with a proper welly isn't working.  The boards just sit an an uncomfortable angle. Standing on them (a svelte 90kg) does nothing other than occasionally pushing them apart.  

I have noticed that few of the planks are actually flat.  Nearly all are bowed despite being left in their packaging on the flat since delivery

Is there any wisdom that you good people can share as to how to get these things together?

If the boards are warped, they will never sit flat. Suggest you send them back and change for engineered (cross laminated) timber boards.

We used 14mm Uniclic bamboo upstairs in our last place. We didn't have any problems, all the boards were flat. I would contact the supplier asking for replacements, as none of the boards should be bowed.

Thank you both. These are engineered strand woven boards. 

I doubt the supplier will accept the returns as I've had them in their boxes for 4 months in the garage.  If new boards are needed such is life.  Will have to wait until I'm back in work and can afford it.

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

What are the instructions about storing them? 

Just that they should be stored in their packaging and under cover.    But how do I prove that I've kept them that way?  

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

On full length boards I find an extra pair of hands, or two, helps enormously.

I've got a couple of other people in the household and will set them to it this afternoon!

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, jpadie said:

Just that they should be stored in their packaging and under cover.    But how do I prove that I've kept them that way?  

Anything about them being stored in the environment you’re going to fit them in? We were given strict instructions to put our oak flooring in the same room it was being fitted in.

Edited by Kelvin

19 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Anything about them being stored in the environment you’re going to fit them in? We were given strict instructions to put our oak flooring in the same room it was being fitted in.

Yes.  Absolutely this was requested for 48 hrs pre installation.