Mount cast iron radiators vertically..?

A silly question I'm sure..!
Anyway, there is limited wall space so I'd like to consider mounting a 4'x2' plain type Edwardian cast iron radiator vertically (on it's side). Of course its heavy, so I will need to craft some feet to fit and provide adequate support at the top.
In plumbing terms is this likely to cause any issues with water circulating through the rad?
Can I plumb this BBOE (both valves at the bottom)?

Thanks...

On 13/05/2024 at 13:37, Cognis0 said:

A silly question I'm sure..!
Anyway, there is limited wall space so I'd like to consider mounting a 4'x2' plain type Edwardian cast iron radiator vertically (on it's side). Of course its heavy, so I will need to craft some feet to fit and provide adequate support at the top.
In plumbing terms is this likely to cause any issues with water circulating through the rad?
Can I plumb this BBOE (both valves at the bottom)?

Thanks...

Hi. It just sounds dangerous tbh, due to the massive weight alone. Putting all the weight on to the side of the rad, an area never designed to take that weight, is a no-no AFAIC.

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hi. It just sounds dangerous tbh, due to the massive weight alone. Putting all the weight on to the side of the rad, an area never designed to take that weight, is a no-no AFAIC.

My civils/structural engineering background makes me inclined to think these radiators are actually more stable on their ends..!

1 hour ago, Cognis0 said:

My civils/structural engineering background makes me inclined to think these radiators are actually more stable on their ends..!

I disagree. If this falls down from a vertically mounted orientation the damage to person and property will be severe, sorry, assuming of course you will have to make your own custom mounts and wall brackets for this. Also, the side wall is nowhere near as strong as the shared point load where the intended / correct feet attach, and, as your training will tell you, cast will just fracture and fail in one instant. Add to that, that this will be full of very, very hot water as they're very inefficient, and I (personally) would advise against this.

You asked, so that's my answer, but of course 'fill yer boots' as it's not my house, and it's just my own opinion ;) 

On 14/05/2024 at 23:26, Nickfromwales said:

I disagree. If this falls down from a vertically mounted orientation the damage to person and property will be severe, sorry, assuming of course you will have to make your own custom mounts and wall brackets for this. Also, the side wall is nowhere near as strong as the shared point load where the intended / correct feet attach, and, as your training will tell you, cast will just fracture and fail in one instant. Add to that, that this will be full of very, very hot water as they're very inefficient, and I (personally) would advise against this.

You asked, so that's my answer, but of course 'fill yer boots' as it's not my house, and it's just my own opinion ;) 

Why would it fall down?! As I said, this would need adequate support at the top, which is normal with these radiators. "side wall nowhere near as strong.." Not sure what you mean by that, my walls are 24" of solid stone! Cast radiators are not inefficient, they are far more effective than modern steel radiators and our flow temperature will be about 40 degrees (from heat pump). Apologies of I did not make myself clear, but the advice I was seeking was about the water circulating through the radiator and if this could be plumbed BBOE...

On 13/05/2024 at 13:37, Cognis0 said:

silly question I'm sure

Yep - maybe, would that sort of radiator looks daft in the wrong orientation?

Do it and report back (you are not wanting to here the answers being given above) - but would the brackets that hold the radiator on to wall, even work in the wrong orientation?

Or just buy the correct radiator for the job. They are available, we had them in our last house. Not that expensive, if you shop around.