Yes, and yes, although I don't recall paying extra for it. You'll also get the design flow rates that you can use for commissioning.  Is the cost deducted when you place an order perhaps? 

1 hour ago, Roundtuit said:

Yes, and yes, although I don't recall paying extra for it. You'll also get the design flow rates that you can use for commissioning.  Is the cost deducted when you place an order perhaps? 

Great, I’ve had a ‘preliminary’ design layout sent over that does give flow rates and basic intake and extract locations. They then say that they can provide full ventilation guide with more detailed information such as duct runs etc. No mention if it is deductible from total cost though. Just wondering if it’s worth paying the extra in the grand scheme of things. 

2 hours ago, Marko said:

Great, I’ve had a ‘preliminary’ design layout sent over that does give flow rates and basic intake and extract locations. They then say that they can provide full ventilation guide with more detailed information such as duct runs etc. No mention if it is deductible from total cost though. Just wondering if it’s worth paying the extra in the grand scheme of things. 

I paid for the design but can't say I was particularly impressed.  They weren't forthcoming with the design flow rates etc. which was the key thing I wanted to check.  A lot of the intricacies of routing are obviously left to work out on-site but I felt I was having to point out a lot of stuff on our design just to get the order details right.  So despite having paid I gave up and went on my own, which let me mix and match components from different suppliers.

19 minutes ago, BadgerBadger said:

A lot of the intricacies of routing are obviously left to work out on-site but I felt I was having to point out a lot of stuff on our design just to get the order details right.

Glad it wasn't just me. They still insisted on sending too many bits that I have not used.

On 10/05/2024 at 13:10, BadgerBadger said:

I paid for the design but can't say I was particularly impressed.  They weren't forthcoming with the design flow rates etc. which was the key thing I wanted to check.  A lot of the intricacies of routing are obviously left to work out on-site but I felt I was having to point out a lot of stuff on our design just to get the order details right.  So despite having paid I gave up and went on my own, which let me mix and match components from different suppliers.

How did the overall cost compare with the quotes you may have got from design/supply/commission type companies?

I’ve sent in our plans and had a couple of quotes and the intensity of marketing tells me there’s likely to be a nice profit margin built in to their process.  However when I do some ball park ‘buy the bits myself’ calcs the answer is reasonably similar and that’s without a professional design.

I didn’t pay the extra for the detailed design, I think it would have been no better than the basic one. 

If it’s radial and semi-rigid pipe work, kind of just had to put the plenums in the right place, connect the right number of pipes as per the basic diagram, and route the pipework in the best way you can.

Is it a retrofit or new build? 

On 11/05/2024 at 14:34, IGP said:

I didn’t pay the extra for the detailed design, I think it would have been no better than the basic one. 

If it’s radial and semi-rigid pipe work, kind of just had to put the plenums in the right place, connect the right number of pipes as per the basic diagram, and route the pipework in the best way you can.

Is it a retrofit or new build? 

Sorry for the delayed response.  

New build.  Attached garage out front and that’s where the MVHR unit will live.  I’m thinking big rigid ducts to centre of house and smaller ducts radiating from there. 

Just now, G and J said:

Sorry for the delayed response…...  

Guess who didn’t realise he had to follow the topic to get alerted to replies!  D’oh!

I designed ours. 

The only regrets I had was not including a rigid silencer between the unit and the distribution manifold. The flexible ones are not as effective. 

Just take a blue and red pencil and draw lines from the manifolds to the plenums on a plan until you can do it without any lines crossing over. Simple!