I Can Smell My Neighbors Cooking In One Of My Rooms

Posted (edited)

My neighbors kitchen extract vent is beside the flat roof of my ground floor extension and the smells can somehow be smelt inside one room of my house. I closed all windows and trickle vents but found that in one corner of the room the smell was literally coming up through the floor. I know that the space in my flat roof and the floor of the first floor bedroom are connected, so I think the smell is being sucked up through the flat roof, into the floor of the main house and up through the floor boards and into the bedroom.

I can't see any vents in my roof or the overhang of the front of the flat roof, so I'm not sure where the air is getting in from. I need to have a word with my neighbor but what can I suggest to him as a solution?

Overall.jpg

Vent.jpg

Edited by Rehan Saeed

• Rehan Saeed changed the title to I Can Smell My Neighbors Cooking In One Of My Rooms

Invite them to eat at yours?

Our neighbours are 25 meters away : liver and onions, bacon butties, an indecent curry , our teenagers' armpits (when that age) - all within smelling distance at 25 meters.

Years ago, I did an attachment in a hospital as part of my job - the doctors (with glee) sent me to work in the  the morgue for the first week.

A fabulously professional morgue attendant took pity and told me  -  breathe through your mouth only.

'Click' smell disappears.

40 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

teenagers' armpits

I wish I was a teenager.

I miss the ethnic cooking smells now I live down here, had a quick walk down Bierton Road in Aylesbury yesterday and I think there is more ethnicity than in the whole of Cornwall.

Lovely it was.

Smells sometimes evoke powerful reactions. The OP  above presumably is talking about a smell that isn't wanted and that's  really inconvenient.

I can't think of a way of dealing with the problem other than to mask it in some way. Or presumably learn to live with it. I had a mate who lived in a flat in Worcester, not far from the Lea + Perrins Sauce factory. I used to visit him on my motorbike. I knew I was near his flat about half a mile from where he lived , sometimes from further away than that. When I asked him how he managed to deal with the quite intrusive smell,  he said that after week or so he just didn't smell it anymore. Visiting his flat used to make me hungry -like - really hungry. 

32 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Worcester

How do YOU pronounce that?

I used to work near a Shwartz Spices lovely it was, and then when I had to go up the M40, near Banbury, got the coffee smell.

Now Portreath, that just smells of shit, because it is. Beach near St. Agnes, Trevaunance Cove, is the same.

Activated charcoal filters are meant to help, personally I think they are easily overpowered.

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Wuster.

It's another of those places like Shrewsbury - locals call it Salop.

Ah no, I used to live there, Shrewsbury is the town, salop is the county of Shropshire.

Yes Joe that's what everybody says,  except when you live there loads of people who live in Shrewsbury always call it Salop - as well .

That's quite interesting because 'Salope' is French slang  for 'prostitute'.

18 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

If the vent was extended up a couple of feet it might help.  Not a difficult or expensive job.

Yes, this seems like the best solution. Replacing the vertical pipe for a longer one seems like it'd be a simple enough job.

I'd probably also have to offer to get a professional tradesperson to do the work, what trade do extractor fan ventilation fit under?

I've tried searching for these types of vent kits on screwfix or toolstation but can't seem to find them. What should I be searching for?