Engineered Flooring over 4mm Ply

I have laid some 4mm ply down to put some flooring on top.  Screwed down to caberdek boards.   

It’s engineered oak herringbone flooring 15mm going on top .  I was planning to glue it down with Sika wood floor glue (not water based) 

I have had my LVT fitter say that 4mm is not thick enough and it should be thicker.   Said it was due to the underfloor heating.  But that still didn’t make sense to me.  

has anyone one had experience in a similar situation? 

40 minutes ago, revelation said:

18mm caberdek.  
4mm ply screwed down 150mm spacing

15mm engineered oak to be glued on top 

18mm deck is pretty much only used for matching to existing, with 22mm as the 'norm' these days. If I was specifying this for a client, where I wore the liability, this would have had 9mm or 12mm ply for belt & braces, and I'd have preferred that you glued the ply as well as screwed it. 

Seeing these types of floors laid over all sorts of crap over the years makes me believe that they are a bit more resilient that most would suggest, so if DIY, and you're compliant with the manufacturers installation guidelines (for any unforeseen warranty claims) then you'll be fine.

I would look for a bonding agent which is designed for this type of application, Sika stuff is great btw, just make sure it is for this exact task and don't be shy with it!

Posted (edited)

We have 3 inch joists at 300mm centres so below the 18mm caber it’s really solid.  

I just want to know if gluing to 4mm ply would cause any issues at all? 

we didn’t glue the ply as we were sure how well it would adhere to the caberdek as its water resistant. 

Edited by revelation