BUILD REGS?

Just had my building inspector in to sign off our reno. 

I uses 1.2 x 9mm MDF panels in a bathroom and this is a possible fail for sign off...

Intumescent paint has been suggested but can I use this over the top coat and a clear finish? Any advice on arguing the toss? If I had installed this after he eould be none the wiser.

Spitting feathers!

This is the requirement he should use:

4.1 The surface linings of walls and ceilings should meet the classifications in Table 4.1.

Table 4.1 Classification of linings
Location Classification
Small rooms of maximum internal floor area of 4m2 D-s3, d2
Garages (as part of a dwellinghouse) of maximum internal floor area of 40m2
Other rooms (including garages) C-s3, d2
Circulation spaces within a dwelling
Other circulation spaces (including the common areas of blocks of flats) B-s3, d2(1)
NOTE:
1. Wallcoverings which conform to BS EN 15102, achieving at least class C-s3, d2 and bonded to a class A2-s3, d2
substrate

Sorry the table doesn't come out but I think you can see for small rooms it's D-s3, d2 and others C-s3, d2, hallways etc B-s3, d2 

So if your bathroom is over 4m2 then it ought to be C-s3, however if your panels do not cover all the walls then paragraph 4.4 says:

4.4 Parts of walls in rooms may be of lower performance than stated in Table 4.1, but no worse than
class D-s3, d2. In any one room, the total area of lower performance wall lining should be less than
an area equivalent to half of the room’s floor area, up to a maximum of 20m2 of wall lining.

That may help you work it out. If all else fails and you are a bit over then try to point out that a bathroom is a low fire risk. They do not need fire doors when opening onto a protected route because of that very reason so the chances of a major conflagation starting in yours is low..............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dee said:

uses 1.2 x 9mm MDF panels in a bathroom

How do you keep them dry in a damp space, they will be be all swollen up in 6 months.

Plasterboard over the top?

1 hour ago, Dee said:

uses 1.2 x 9mm MDF panels in a bathroom

I would never use MDF in a bathroom unless fully sealed on all sides and edges. Can I ask why?

I sealed ALL edges with pva and have given 5 coats of graded paints ect. Ive left a 5mm gap at floor level too so no chance of wicking if water escspes. Fan is in the shower cubicle, directly above shower. It's a guest ensuite so will rarely be used. I don't know about others bathing habits...but water will not reach the panels. Have I justified my choices  😥

1 minute ago, Dee said:

I sealed ALL edges with pva and have given 5 coats of graded paints ect

Well done, I was only asking, it’s more about high humidity in a bathroom. Let’s hope the BI lets it pass.

39 minutes ago, Dee said:

Have I justified my choices  😥

To us, but just BC to keep happy now, but wouldn't do anything until you see something in writing from them 

Sorry for my grumpy reply. I'm just so fed up of jumping through hoops for something that anyone else can do once that golden ticket has been recieved....I know someone who is installing mdf panels with minimal protection and he's a retired fire commander.

It's been a long haul getting this house to the point of signing off, single handed and I've fallen at the final fence, I'm exhausted...heyho, thanks for your help guys

Brilliant news! I've past Building control! Best news for a very very long time.

Thanks everyone, could not have done it without you!

• Like 3