Balancing system

Dee

I balanced my heating system a couple of years ago and all 15 rads worked perfectly but now some have ceased to heat up.... Cold at the bottom, Luke warm at the top. 

Pipes at TVR end are hot, pipes at lockdhirld end stone cold.... Any ideas?! 

41 minutes ago, Dee said:

I balanced my heating system a couple of years ago and all 15 rads worked perfectly but now some have ceased to heat up.... Cold at the bottom, Luke warm at the top. 

Pipes at TVR end are hot, pipes at lockdhirld end stone cold.... Any ideas?! 

How old are the rads Dee?

Quick test, turn each trv down to zero bar one of the troublesome rads. See if that heats through. 

It could just be the pump. 

Should of mentioned this, The rads farthest from the boiler are the coldest... 

If one heats up what does that tell me? 

One is certainly now warmer at the top but cold at the bottom also some rads that I have 'turned off' remain very hot 

Edited by Dee

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Should of mentioned this, The rads farthest from the boiler are the coldest... 

If one heats up what does that tell me? 

One is certainly now warmer at the top but cold at the bottom also some rads that I have 'turned off' remain very hot 

That tells me that the TRVs don’t work ....

isolate the rad with both TRV and lockshield off. It shouldn’t get hot at all. 

@PeterW. I've long suspected the TVRs were dodgy but haven't got the money to change them.... Or skill....

Is there a cheats way of balancing the system? Last time I did it I was meticulous, measuring temp between pipes ect, took me the entire weekend! 

You could get away with just changing the heads if the plungers still work. Take them off and give a squirt of WD40 and see if they move up and down. 

To balance you need to know the order in which they heat up - do you know the route from boiler to boiler ..?

What type of boiler? Open pipe with a tank in the attic or sealed and pressurised ( aka system boiler ) with a filling loop and pressure gauge ? If the former, any pics of the plumbing by the pump so I can see if there's a bypass valve you can shut for testing? 

Dont pull the pins of the TRV's up too hard or you'll be needing wellies ;). They do come out with not much effort. ( and they don't go back in :/ ask me how I found that out :S ). 

@dpmiller. I measured the temp across the pipes in each rad until the multimeter showed a variation of about 12 degrees and on the flow and return on the boiler.... I though that was correct? 

@PeterWall the plungers work fine, I don't understand why some rads shut down and others don't! I kinda know the route they heat up in but it's a big house and I get confused easily! 

@Nickfromwales

It's a Heatrea sadia sealed system about 8yrs old. Pump seems fine although it gets extremely hot, hotter than the rads! 

Last night I turned all the rads off bar the coldest and furthest from the boiler, it did heat up but still warmer at the top than the bottom and when I turned about half back on it cooled down again...

Go on what happened, you can tell me !!!! 

@Dee Pump is shagged by the sounds of it. 

Get a new pump, or turn the current one up to max and do the test with the rads again. Sounds like it can’t circulate to all the rads properly. 

Have you got a Magnaclean in the boiler return flow ..?? That would help you see how much crud in the system and also re-dose the inhibitor. May be worth putting one in then dosing with X400 System cleaner and trying again ... one rad at a time ..!

And if you can’t work the rads out then write on each one with dry wipe marker and it means you can just rub it off when you’re done ... 

TMV pins - are they loose or do they actually move up and down ..?? 

X400 cleaner is for newer systems. I'd treat it with X800 sludge remover and leave that in for a month before draining, refilling and running for 48 hrs, then drain out and refill with 2x X100 inhibitors. 

It does sound like the pump is ( ahem ) shagged. ??

8 years old for boiler AND rads? That's not old enough for the rads to be blocked with corrosion imo, but if never treated with inhibitor it's possible that they've furred up enough to warrant the X800 treatment. 

Drain down, chuck a new pump in and add the X800 when you refill. I'd also change the pump isolation valves at the same time as they will likely leak if you try to use them now. I always do that when drained down TBH as the buggers always leak soon afterwards and call-backs are a pita. 

The heat exchanger is man enough to cope with the broken down particulate TBH, plus any existing crud in the HE will be broken down and made waterborne, hence the month of cycling prior to a full drain down, and refill with fresh inhibited water. 

Fitting the filter whilst fitting the pump would work, just you'd have to clean it every other day whilst the X800 does its thing. I'd run with the sludge remover first and fit the filter when it's empty from the second drain down after the X800 is spent.  

Two image of system and pump. 

How do I know if the pump is failing? 

It seems to run smoothly and silent... Never had any issues with it 

How do I turn it up and know that it isn't working too hard? 

Pressure gauge is set to 2 bar 

DSC_1234.JPG

DSC_1235.JPG

HiTwo image of system and pump. 

How do I know if the pump is failing? 

It seems to run smoothly and silent... Never had any issues with it 

How do I turn it up and know that it isn't working too hard? 

Pressure gauge is set to 2 bar