Outline Planning Permission - should I do it myself?

I was wondering if I may be able to get some advice and your thoughts from any past experiences as to whether I should attempt to gain outline planning permission for two properties on an area of land I have, rather than consult an architect? As I intend not to do the building work myself and instead sell the site, I thought this may be a good potential solution to maximise my return without going to the effort of full planning.

Although I do not have an architectural background, I have had previous experience working on a number of renovation and new build projects and can also do basic CAD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to achieve outline planning I believe I would need to prepare the following?  

• Form, payment
  • OS plan with a red boundary, 1:1250
  • Site plan with roof/footprint 1:200 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

👍

Its completely possible, really planning drawing just need a scale on them. 

Put them in and see what the response from the LPA is, if they ask for more info then you can look into then.

Main think is showing that its viable from an early stage.

I put in my own pre-app submission, got a semi nod and paid an architectural technician to work up full planning submission.

It's not an architect you need for outline it's a planning consultant. The drawing work is minimal but the "planning" bit even for outline these days can be a trial. Check out the Council's local requirements for registering various types of applications. Even an outline may require a flood risk assessment, a sequential and exception test if in the wrong flood zone, ecology assessments, etc. I've tried the arguement that it's only the principle being considered at this stage only to be knocked back with; the principle cannot be assessed without xyz.....

Sure you can. It might depend on how difficult you think it might be to get approval though and how much research you're prepared to do.

V. difficult might suggest a planning consultant or someone with an existing relationship with your LPA. Depending on how haughty your LPA is, you might also like to do a pre-app to get a feel. Also, you'll make more money if you can get permission for something smaller rather than larger - but judging a likely size to get approval might need research and/or experience.

There's also the question of what you do if your LPA are not immediately convinced - do you push through maybe going to committee, fold, appeal?

Also, don't underestimate the impact of a pretty drawing / photomontage / watercolour :) ... both to sway the planners and for the sale particulars after.

I did, but someone more subtle than me might have got approval quicker / with less hassle / less work.