Blown EPS Beads - certification and quotes

NandM

So I've had around three quotes so far for blown-in EPS (150sqm of wall @ 200mm cavity) and they are all within the £4K - £4.5K range...this is much more than I thought it would be given some of the historic quotes on this forums (2021/2022).

Which brings me to the question of using non-"branded"/BBA/KIWA certified EPS beads and going down the DIY route as per the other thread. Would there be any push back from building control if I was to use beads without a certificate?

You warranty provider would want certification, so not DIY.

• The manufacturer of the blown in cavity wall insulation must operate an approved installer scheme where the installers are approved, registered and regularly reviewed or demonstrate they are competent to carry out installations of the product in accordance with the third party product conformity certificate. Evidence of the installer being approved by the manufacturer should be made available to the Warranty Surveyor upon request.
  • Thanks 1

I had another quote at £4.9K and just as I was about to give up on using an installer, I had an Ecobead Platinum approved installer quote me £2.4K.  I haven't thought about warranty - would this be applicable to an extension?

I have found someone selling almost 20m3 (I need 28m3) of grey beads for just under £300, but delivery doubles that to £600. If I add to that a half-decent setup for the installation, then financially I'm looking at under a grand to do two-thirds of what I need.  Which made a lot of sense with the previous quotes I had, but still tempting with the lower quote....plus storage would be a nightmare.

1 hour ago, NandM said:

I had an Ecobead Platinum approved installer quote me £2.4K.

I could be wrong but I believe that a lot of cavity wall insulation companies are members of a self-certification body, so they can sign off against Bldg Regs. However I feel pretty jolly certain that they could not sign off a job which was not a cavity wall.

This work is notifiable under the building regs. At the least the manufacture and install should be in accordance with BS EN 14064. Product needs to be CE/ UKCA marked as there is a designated/harmonised BS EN. Not sure how you would even confirm the thermal conductivity, once installed, of random beads bought from eBay never mind all other declared physical properties and weather resistance. Building Regs require these products to have 3rd party certification (BBA or similar) for both the manufacture and installation. Approved systems installed by approved contractors are generally deemed to comply with the Approved Doc without a building reg application. In short DIY is a non starter.

To clarify, above standard is for blown in mineral wool. No equivalent* Standard for eps beads but same BBA standard and test methods for manufacture & install

*there is an equivalent BS! BS EN 16809.

Edited by ADLIan
Correction
  • Thanks 1

I recently got some quotes for EPS bead insulation in a new build 150mm cavity.  135.8m2 net of wall area, 20.37m3 volume.

First quote:  £8,890!!!!!!!!

Second quote:  £4,080

Third quote:  £1,453