Wall Panelling - panel sizes

Del-inquent

Wife wants half wall panelling throughout most of the house. Happy wife happy life n all that sooo...

I'm sure this is just a "whatever you want" type question, but I'm struggling to visualise it so thought I'd see if anyone else had any ideas.

Wall down left side of the hall is 3820mm long then goes around a corner.
Wall down right side of the hall is 1485mm long then hits a series of doors.

If I do 6 panels with 100mm stiles on the left wall, each panel will be 430mm long.

430mm isn't divisible into 1485 with 100mm stiles...

So is it normal to either go with next full panel size up / down (2 panels on right wall, each panel will be 592mm long, or 3 panels on right wall, each will be 363mm long, neither close to 430mm long panels of other side) or do you start at the beginning and just have a fractional panel when it gets to the door or...?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FuerteStu said:

Before now I did a jedi mind trick of reducing the width of the panels each one by 10mm to gain the 70mm shortage. 

Wasn't noticeable from either end 😂

that’s what I’m doing in one of the rooms, but this difference is huge and making it up either makes the panels much larger or much smaller. I guess unless I make the other side a lot smaller, so I can have less to make up. I was aiming for a panel size around 500mm but will have a play and see what happens if I stick another panel in on the longer wall.

Edited by Del-inquent

Oh I see there are some quite cool-looking panels around. What kind of panels have you chosen? On the original question, I wouldn't worry to much. Maybe make the two end panels the same? I bet you won't notice after 5 minutes.

I had fibre installed in the flats where we are now which involved running some 1mm white cable around the corners where the white walls met the white ceiling. Despite the fact they were going from an unusable 5-10Mbs to 1Gbs, the neighbours kicked up a right fuss about the 'sub-standard job' and 'atrocious workmanship'. Not a peep since and I never notice either and I'm quite picky. It all just blends into the background...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Oh I see there are some quite cool-looking panels around. What kind of panels have you chosen? On the original question, I wouldn't worry to much. Maybe make the two end panels the same? I bet you won't notice after 5 minutes.

I had fibre installed in the flats where we are now which involved running some 1mm white cable around the corners where the white walls met the white ceiling. Despite the fact they were going from an unusable 5-10Mbs to 1Gbs, the neighbours kicked up a right fuss about the 'sub-standard job' and 'atrocious workmanship'. Not a peep since and I never notice either and I'm quite picky. It all just blends into the background...

I'll be making them myself, I'm debating just hacking up some MDF and PVA gluing to the walls as a test to see if I notice or not lol