Double glazing units fitted correctly?

We've just had new aluminium windows fitted to replace our 24 year old timber frames which had narrow double glazing units and looked rather dated.

I know it's really subjective but despite all the fancy technology in these Smart system windows, these seem to be more draughty than the old timber ones and no better soundproof wise either.  We had trickle vents in the old windows so can't blame them -  we are used to trickle vents!

Even when clicked shut, there is a draught from the trickle vents though - unlike the old ones.

The new windows do look very "smart" on the outside and from a distance on the inside.  (Not very clever fllling/sealing, scratches and little chips inside only.) 

Guardian ClimaGuard double glazing units were used.  I know this might sound crazy but I'd like to know whether they were put in the right way round.

Should the little white stamp mark in the corner of the glass be readable the rght way round from the insde or the outside?   I remember seeing a large label on the units stating which side should go on the insde - but didn't take much notice them.

The installer gives the impression that we are being fussy and talks about how difficult it was to fit them especially due to the external rendering.

Any comments would be appreciated!

11 hours ago, KitchenPotcher said:

Should the little white stamp mark in the corner of the glass be readable the rght way round from the insde or the outside?

Not if it's indicating that the glass is laminated or toughened - it could be either way. However if you specified a coating on the glass, then that needs to be on the correct face; shine the LED light on your phone through it and the reflection of the glass with the coating will be a different colour - then you need to work out which face it's reflecting from.

Usually the etched marking (stamp) is on the inside (usually), as @Mike says, use a light but it's very subjective in terms of everything else, we don't even know the window system or how it has been installed. It would all be guesswork but if aluminium and glass loose, it is possible that it's smart systems or Origin (more likely origin, which is actually Cortizo, at least the profiles are made for Origin by Cortizo).

Edited by craig

Thanks Mike and Craig - the new windows are Alitherm 400 (Smart system) and the glass units are ClimaGuard by Guardian Glass.

I couldn't work out anything from using a torch!  but I did notice that not all the glass units have an "etched marking (stamp)".  Should they?

7 hours ago, KitchenPotcher said:

not all the glass units have an "etched marking (stamp)".  Should they?

Only if the glass is laminated or toughened. Unless you've specified one or the other throughout, then to minimise cost it's likely only been used on glazing positioned where the regulations require it.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the torch on my phone as recommended to work out whether the low e coating on the glass is on the right side of the glazing unit. 

I shone the light from the inside the house. 

I could see a number of "reflections" of circular lights - 4, 5 or even 6 of them in a row.

The ranged mostly from deepest blue nearest me to shade of orange towards the outside of the window - as viewed from the inside.

Can anyone help me understand what this means?  If it does mean anything.

Any help would be appreciated!