Very long delays to issuing of completion certificate, advice needed!

Hi, I'm new here, and would be most grateful for any advice!

My husband and I completed a Barn Conversion just over one year ago.  We invited to the Building Inspector to conduct a pre-completion inspection.  He attended and gave us a couple of very small points to rectify, which we were expecting. Once that was done, we emailed all documents he had requested, then invited him for the final inspection.

He attended for the final inspection in mid June 2023.  He verbally gave us 2 minor points to rectifiy, which we did the same evening, emailing photos and documentation.  

We next heard from him one week later, requesting the structural calculations document.  We scanned and emailed the large file that same day.

We next heard from him over 2 months later, requesting yet more documentation.  This delay of 2 months was outside of the statutory 8 weeks that building control should have responded by.  We complied with the requests immediately, apart from being delayed in getting a replacement gas applicance installation certificate (our installer had made an error on the form) due to our original installer being uncontactable, and there being a severe shortage of qualified installers in our area.  We were finally able to submit this at the beginning of January 2024.

We next heard from him a week later, requesting a septic inspection certificate.  We were surprised by this because at the very beginning, he had advised us that the existing septic would be adequate, as long as the soakaway was extended. We had extended the soakaway at the early stages of the build, and supplied photos.  Unwilling to undergo additional costs and delays waiting for an inspection, then having even more expense/time if the inspection recommended a new installation, we bit the bullet and did a new installation (which the BI verbally agreed to).

Our builder invited the BI out to inspect the completed installation on 5 March. The BI said he didn't need to inspect, he would be happy with photos, which we had already emailed.  We heard nothing back between then and this morning (despite having gently chased up by phone).  The BI attended today, and said it needed an inspection chamber.  My husband tried to pin him down that this was the last outstanding job that was needed, before the completion certificate could be issued.

My husband and the builder have already added an inspection chamber and sent photos.

My worry is that the BI will keep delaying and keep finding new things to request, or reverse previous things he has told us.

We have willingly complied with all of the additional documentation, points to change etc., and even gritted our teeth to install a new septic tank, when this went directly against his previous verbal instruction.

I understand that a completion certificate can't be issued until the BI is satisfied with works - and that finding things to rectify means that the certificate will be delayed beyond the statutory 8 weeks.  But if we had been given one exhaustive list at the beginning, we could have done all of the rectifications concurrently, especially during the delay to getting a new gas fitter - we could have been installing the septic tank at the same time.

Are they allowed to keep adding piecemeal rectifications, with no deadlines for how quickly they have to respond?

I would understand if the process had been going well and the BI had found one or two things that he'd missed and alerted us to them - but this seems excessive.

I haven't complained as the last thing I want to do is antagonise the BI.  I don't even mind the BI being a stickler on what have been some very tiny points.  But I do believe we have a right to be informed of the points on which the build has failed in one exhaustive list, in a timely manner.

Your advice on what to do next would be very much appreciated!

Stressed self-builder

Did your BR approval include a number of conditions that listed the various reports/tests/certification required either before you completed that particular element or pre-completion?

Where have you got the response within 8 weeks from? Is that the “rule” for your particular LABC?

LABC’s can request additional information. But to keep asking for things that were never mentioned previously is not that fair. The LABC should be approached and asked to sign off the project. Take it to their senior should they not be pro-active or forthcoming with it.

If he doesn't use a list make and control the list yourself. He who controls the list (agenda) wins.

Following each contact email the BCO to confirm what was discussed with the list of items outstanding. Use a proper list/spreadsheet and stick to the same format each time. Don't use wordy text emails.

Say something like..

"Thank you for the call (date). Below is the updated list of outstanding items we understand are required for completion."

On the list be assertive. Use words like 

"Septic Tank: Only issues required for completion are: ..."

When items have been done mark them completed but leave them on the list. I also changed the colour of the background from red meaning outstanding to green meaning completed.

The worse bit about self building is managing people. 

PS don't forget to put "Issue Completion Certificate" on the list.

Edited by Temp

@Devil Damo, yes, we have felt this isn't fair.  The government website says LAs should issue completion certificates within 8 weeks of completion as long as the build complies. I have looked and have been unable to find guidance on deadlines for the LAs when they find outstanding issues, but it stands to reason that they should communicate their decision within 8 weeks, and give a full reasoning for refusing to sign off, so that the builders can work through the list in a timely manner. https://www.gov.uk/building-regulations-approval/how-to-apply

@Temp

That is a genius idea, thank you. I shall be using it!  

I shall also include the timeline of when we notified of completed rectifications/documentation requested, and when he responded with new requirements, which will show up the times he has taken months to come back to us and also that new requirements have been thrown our way very late in the day, and in a piecemeal manner. The beauty of the spreadsheet is that it is all there to see, without having to actually put words together that sound like an accusation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Temp said:

The wors(t) bit about self building is managing people. 

How many posts have @Temp's observation as progenitor? Can I suggest a slight tweek -

The worst bit is managing people and communicating with those peoples  networks.

I watch German and French TV. Currently  Brits are buying property and doing it up in France (see DW TV on YT for example). - fewer in the former East Germany.

No matter how skilled the - now expat - british builder , they all report the same problem: they find it hard or impossible to break into local, established builders'  networks. 

Its the network that matters. Because the network can (and does sometimes)  over-rule the individual

Edited by ToughButterCup