Garage Conversion > Garage Door to window

Hi,

I understand converting a garage is typically allowed under permitted development. The garage conversion we would like to do involves changing the current garage up and over door into brick work and a small window. I have had 3 different people tell me different things as to whether changing the up and over door into a window is under permitted development or whether it requires planning permission. Can anyone help me clear this up with any certainty?

Well I'd argue that Class A of PD allows "the enlargement, improvement or other alteration of a dwelling house". The change from door to window doesn't affect the subsequent list of "but not if's". The internal conversion isn't development anyway. The potential fly in the ointment is if the original approval for the dwelling contained a specific condition requiring the garage to made available for parking a car. That was not uncommon in the 70's/80's. You would then have to deal with that point. Some research may be needed especially if the original approval was for an estate of houses.

Even if all OK you'll still need a building regulations submission.

I have done a few and only had building Reg’s approval (with the owner confirming to his own satisfaction the original planning did not specify a garage had to exist).

You don't specify, so just be aware that most *integral* garage conversions are permitted development provided your house isn't listed or in a conservation area, AONB or similar, but most *detached* garage conversions will require planning permission or approved change of use.

@DevilDamo

It's an attached garage, see pic below. Want to mirror next door, unfortunately I can't use them as a reference because they did their garage work as part of a larger extension that did require planning regardless so they did it all in one go, I haven't moved in yet so haven't had the chance to ask them any more details. The house isn't in a conservation area or AONB, i'm not aware as to any planning conditions that restrict its conversion, where would I look into this more? Although based on next doors conversion I'm pretty confident about no restrictions.

Just a bit lost as our house surveyor told me it will not need planning permission, Architect #1 told me it would need planning and Architect #2 was unsure but was edging towards it not needing PP. 

image.jpeg

@kandgmitchell No such condition regarding the garage needing to exist from what I am aware, also read somewhere that you typically require a number of parking spots to be available for houses of a certain size but this house is only 2 bedrooms so 1 parking space (the drive) is theoretically enough. What do you think?

Frankly I don’t think anyone would notice and if planners (who are way to busy) insist retrospective planning permission could be sought to align with your neighbour 🤷‍♂️

@Ryan Turner Didn’t put two and two together and didn’t realise you’re the same person who created the other post.

The conversion doesn’t sound like it needs Planning. But your porch will (on the assumption you’re sticking with the dimensions as noted on the other post). Because of that, why not include them both under one Householder application?

@DevilDamo Haha yeah sorry I feel like im spamming this forum at the minute. Can't recall what dimensions I posted previously but the porch dimensions we have decided on will not require planning permission so was hoping to keep it all under permitted development.

You had stated a minimum size of 1.5 x 2.2m which is therefore larger than the 3sq.m allowance. If you’re sticking with the 2.2m length, then the width would need to reduce down to 1.35m which will give you a little more than 1m width internally. If you factor in an inward opening door on the side (like you have at present), it doesn’t leave you much circulation space.

The only way for you to know if your proposals constitute PD, you will need to submit a Lawful Development Certificate application to the LPA. They will check the plot and site history along with the proposals meeting said requirements.

2 hours ago, Ryan Turner said:

@joe90 Do you think there is any risk of not being granted retrospective planning permission?

Not with what you’re neighbour has already done but I don’t believe you need planning.

@DevilDamo I see your point but it's a small house and the porch's only purpose is to act as an entry/ passage to the garage so i think we are satisfied with it being small. The length is also likely closer to 2.1/2.15m, so width is closer to 1.1m internally.  

Thanks for your help!

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I believe garage linked houses are called “linked detached”

I think @ProDave is referring to the fact that it's currently a semi-detached with an attached garage. The door at the front on the left-hand side is one property, and the door on the side for the right-hand side is another property - the OP's.

As the next door neighbour has already converted their garage to living accommodation, when the OP does the same, they effectively become "terraced".

A fair comment but ignoring value, we don't need a garage but we would benefit greatly from a large room. Also I'd hope that effectively going from 2>3 bedroom would offset the negative associated with going from semi-detatched to terraced.