Consumer unit

nod

Just looking at the refs for siting the consumer unit

Switches between 1350 & 1450

That is a real bad height for me

How stringent are these regs unforced 

I rarely see them at this height on mainstream developments

in fact I'm working on a large development were the consumer unit is sited In a very small cuboured under the stairs

IMG_3268.JPG

In Scotland consumer unit height is not covered by building regs, I checked when a new build I am wiring wanted it high up, out of reach of his Autistic son, and BC said it can be any height you want.  Ask your local building control to be sure.

If it did have to be a specific height, I would expect it to be 1200 like light switches for accessibility (that is the height I have set my own)

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

In Scotland consumer unit height is not covered by building regs, I checked when a new build I am wiring wanted it high up, out of reach of his Autistic son, and BC said it can be any height you want.  Ask your local building control to be sure.

If it did have to be a specific height, I would expect it to be 1200 like light switches for accessibility (that is the height I have set my own)

Thanks Dave

its going to land right on top of the desk top in my office 

I'll give building control a call

it sort of sticks in my throat the refs that are imposed on us all 

But the mainstream builders seem to ignore a lot of the rules

Ours is a cabinet about 0.5m tall and bottom is perhaps 300 to 400mm above ground. No comments from BC.

No way we could site switches between 1350 and 1450 with this CU as switches are stacked on top of each other.

Edited by ragg987
typo

51 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Ours is a cabinet about 0.5m tall and bottom is perhaps 300 to 400mm above ground. No comments from BC.

No way we could site switches between 1350 and 1450 with this CU as switches are stacked on top of each other.

That would suit me perfectly

4 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Just for ref. I'm in a relatively new "mainstream builders" house and my consumer unit is at 1705.

I think think the mainstream builders make there own rules up as they go along