Internal door

I can’t be arsed to google so ….

Internal door goes from kitchen to ‘utility’ room . I decided to please bco to (expletive deleted) off ; I’ll make it a fire door so no chance of complaining . But should ( or need to ) open into the kitchen or into the utility room . Does it matter ?

My bco might complain as before about the dead body jammed against a door so can’t open it BS ( only body might be his ) .

4 minutes ago, stu w said:

Fire doors are predominately hung in the direction of escape 

Ermmmmm . So you mean utility room door opens into kitchen as kitchen leads to escape route . Yeah ?

4 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Ermmmmm . So you mean utility room door opens into kitchen as kitchen leads to escape route . Yeah ?

Whatever I've hung them that's what the BCO has requested yes , open towards main route of escape. 

Then you have the intumescent strip, handles,hinges etc if they are really fussy , and at times request a closer 

Edited by stu w
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stu w said:

Whatever I've hung them that's what the BCO has requested yes , open towards main route of escape. 

Then you have the intumescent strip, handles,hinges etc if they are really fussy , and at times request a closer 

I’m just assuming bco might be picky . I’m going for a pre hung door so as relatively expensive want to get it right. I’ll do as you suggest 👍

11 minutes ago, Pocster said:

I’m just assuming bco might be picky . I’m going for a pre hung door so as relatively expensive want to get it right. I’ll do as you suggest 👍

Roll of the dice mate , I find some don't check or spec,  others are by the book 

• Like 1

Example conversation when BCO visited to sign off my pre plaster inspection (yes, I know yippee!):

'so you've got the egress windows for the guest annex, that's good...on boths sides, that's perfect. Oh, and you've installed a fire alarm in the area, that's good. Oh, and you've put in a fire door, that's a good idea, we didn't ask for that. You know you'll need intumescent strip and if the door is 30min, the wall will need to be 30 min also. Oh, plaster and skim, that's all fine then. Good job'

I only accidently installed the door opening in the direction of escape...

• Like 1

On 29/03/2024 at 00:14, DevilDamo said:

It doesn’t matter. It didn’t need to be an FD anyway.

and it's only advisory to open in the direction of escape unless you are going to have more than 60 in that room (and the occasional party doesn't count!) (and doesn't apply to dwellings anyway)