Bathroom Layout Ideas

Good morning, I'm really looking for comments or suggestions for our bathroom renovation. 

The plan as it currently sits, is to take a wall down a move the door to create a larger space. 

Our requirements are to have a separate shower & bath. Young children so wet room isn't really practical, and to have everything as accessible for repairs / maintenance as possible. 

Can anyone suggest any layout alternatives please?

Should the door open against the toilet or shower?

Taken note of the Mcalpine traps for the shower and bath, are there any other top suggestions for things to incorporate into a new bathroom?

Thanks. 

1.jpg

Bathroom_1.png

Bathroom_2.png

Birdseye view.JPG

It would be helpful if the plans you have posted were all oriented the same way.

Don't plan the bathroom just for your young children.  You may soon be at a stage when several people want to use the loo, brush teeth, have a shower etc. at similar times.  Morning rush hour before school / work can get congested.

We once had a double sink and that worked well for face wash and teeth brush for 2 at once.

You may find that a small ensuite or at least a separate loo would be handy.

A shower bath can combine 2  functions and save space.

+1 for the shower/bath...   Bette used to make nice shaped square one end/flat bottom tubs.

In a smaller bathroom I went for a square ended steel bath and shower at one end of it rather than squeezing in a shower cubicle.
There's no substitute for space giving that feel of a little luxury vs. too much stuff.

Mr Punter, point taken thanks. Pictures now to same orientation hopefully.

- While I have seen a few good over bath options, I've never seen an over bath option that properly contains the water when having a shower. So my preference is to eek out room for a dedicated shower if possible.

- We do have a separate WC elsewhere to hopefully help alleviate the morning rush. 

1.jpg

Bathroom_1.png

Bathroom_2.png

Birdseye view.JPG

RichardL, thanks for your comment. I guess my main concern with the over bath shower is water getting absolutely everywhere. My experience of over bath showers is typically that that water has one way or another ended up all over the bathroom floor. For my sanity  I'd just rather know leak damage was being minimised as far as possible. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Richini said:

I've never seen an over bath option that properly contains the water when having a shower.

The shower bath types often have a fixed screen, so no leaky gasket flap thing.

• Like 1

Re the water -  makes sense,  

Go for a fixed short glass screen - perhaps 30cm then shower curtain.
The fixed screen isn't too deep so you can still get to the taps & catches most of the water, didn't go for a hinged screen re leaks (to your points), just a curtain that hangs inside the tub.

e.g. this was the bathroom from our old house with a Bette Set tub, that room was probably about 2m x 2m,  Loo is on the left outside shot.
Boxing in is to hide pipes & match the window cill - the LHS was an outside wall.

After refurb ~2006
image.thumb.jpeg.1da9ac3ed5a1bebaa2ec37bb9669d6e4.jpeg

After real life use when we sold the house ~2017
IMG_1792.thumb.jpg.229335db2a4409da105029964e9088aa.jpg

For fun - this is the before picture - nice corner tub in green with gold taps & carpet...   is that retro cool yet :) ?
After living with the corner bath for a year or so - they're super uncomfortable!

Screenshot2024-03-25at11_20_04.thumb.jpg.5309ae19b52810ae2f75951baa1853b3.jpg

Edited by RichardL

What is wrong with a wet room because you have young children?

Make the whole room a wet room, and do as we have, the 2 screens around the shower in that corner hinge away flat against the walls when the shower is not in use leaving a huge open space.

ProDave, no issues with a wet room, infact I really like how you've done your bathroom. The rest of my household is unfortunately pretty care free when it comes to splashing water everywhere and can just see a wetroom leading to water making its way out the bathroom and into the adjoining hallway.