Ugly plumbing under kitchen sink

Hi, I need advice whether I should pressure our contractor to redo the plumbing under our kitchen and utility sinks (see: pictures attached). The kitchen supplier said they couldn't hide the pipes more. What are my options? Is it reasonable for the pipes to looks like these? This is a new build house (the contractor is still on site), but the pipes look like excavated from Titanic :/

PXL_20240319_092417161.jpg

PXL_20240319_092504493.jpg

I feel your pain.

Plumbing in confined areas can be a challenge for everyone, however, it does look like a much better finish could have been achieved. 

The main challenge now is that the cabinets are in place which makes fixing anything that much harder.

More of the pipework could be hidden but take into consideration that it is always useful to be able to easily get to the isolation valves that have been fitted. So if a piece of backboard is put in make sure it is easy to remove in an emergency 🙂 

In that second picture the left hand branch on the waste pipe could have an "end cap" fitted instead of the open pipe just pointing upwards.

23 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Plumbing in confined areas can be a challenge for everyone, however, it does look like a much better finish could have been achieved. 

Thank you for the response! :) Do you think that the contractor made a scheduling mistake - first the pipes were 'finished' and only then the plaster was put around them? Could this be why the wall is so 'cut up'? Or is it what always happens?

It's all in the planning 🙂 Co-ordinating different trades can be difficult.

Generally first fix (pipes/wiring etc) comes before plastering. But putting things in that should so obviously be plastered is not very good forward thinking by the relevant trade.

I have done some first fix on my build that I know will have to be redone before the plastering happens 🙂 

i wouldnt be happy with that if it was my place, I think you are well within your rights to get them to look at it. Even if the pipes were in the wrong place initially it will just take a few bends to get them into a new, more appropriate position. At the very least the pipes should have been cleaned up, im not sure a actually plumber would put his name to that.

That’s crap, I have fitted many kitchens and would never leave a job like that, the back board has been left out of the cabinet. Yes it’s difficult to plan and make neat but not impossible, but much more difficult to put right afterwards. Defo get them back.

It is a bit of a mess. The question is how much better can they make it and will they make it worse. 

I did this myself and I’m no plumber. I’ve yet to connect the washing machine.  I have a bit of backboard to go across where the waste pipe is to hide it although when the drawers are in you can’t really see it. 

IMG_1634.thumb.jpeg.76c7d72993018820a4d79b5b92f44731.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin

You can get Space saving trap   so the trap can be moved to the back of the unit saving loads of space.

A kitchen fitter should at least fit a false back to hide the pipes.

You don't always get chance to move the pipes but if you care you can make them neater or disappear. I would definitely get them back.

Consider a new back to the cupboard to hide most of it, removable inside, it looks like most of it would be behind the old back-wall of the cabinet.

Assuming the plumbing is functional.