MBC Timber frame prices

SBMS

10 hours ago, SBMS said:

Do the TF companies quote from building regs drawings or can they do it from stage 1 drawings?

All of the quotes were from planning drawings. That's one of the reasons I expect the quotes to go up when they get to building regs and the lintels required over openings etc ...

Per @TerryE you need to be aware of cladding costs. We're looking at a mix of metal standing seam and charred timber and it is looking like it will cost not much less than the timber frame installed.

6 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Rather than look at the floor area £.m-2, why not compare the differences on the total surface area £.m-2.

That reflects the amount of materials/work much more accurately.

That's how most suppliers quote, especially SIP and ICF.

2 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

That's how most suppliers quote, especially SIP and ICF.

Be great if members have those numbers to hand, I assumed it was a big ask so though sqm was easier!

In our case, I didn't employ an architect.  I used a 3D visualisation to plan out the layout to ~5 cm precision.  We had some particular (but not uncommon) requirements.  The whole house is  on 3 storeys including a warm loft (used as my live-in son's bedsit) and laid out on a general 3×2 tile with the front centre tile being a lofted  hall void with an open floating staircase spiraling up the two flights and the rear centre tile used for utility and bathrooms to simplify pipe runs.  I had to make damn sure that this would work as a space and comply with BRegs.  A local architectural technician converted this to basic plan and elevation drawing to our planning application.  I passed this AutoCAD drawing to the MBC AT and we went through 6 design cycles to get to the final drawing sets for both slab and TF / cassettes, UFH plans, etc.

I had to do a load of tweeks, e.g. slightly repositioning glulams to keep foul-water and MVHR runs clear.  We have 60° reveals on all of our windows so I did all of this detailing myself  -- We have a stone skin, so fenestration involved 3 separate subs (MBC for TF, local builder for skin, Internorm for the fenestration)  and any interface between three subs is always a recipe for trouble.

So I probably did a better job myself and also saved maybe £25K professional.  OK, this took a lot of focus and effort on my part, but thanks to MBC I didn't have to worry about cold bridging issues and how to make sure that the build was airtight.

• Like 1